Sign in to follow this  
Ginny C

pot & lid from one sphere

I cannot find the instructions or link to an article I've seen on cutting a lid after making a closed sphere. I've done this with a single, slightly angled cut, cutting 3 semi-circle arches into the lid so it will be easy to replace it correctly. But I've seen something about a way to do this which causes a gallery or offset in the lid that makes it fit perfectly. I CAN'T FIND THIS BY GOOGLING! And I'm ready to cut and want to do it that way!!! Anyone know what I mean and can send me to the instructions??

Ginny C

I cannot find the instructions or link to an article I've seen on cutting a lid after making a closed sphere. I've done this with a single, slightly angled cut, cutting 3 semi-circle arches into the lid so it will be easy to replace it correctly. But I've seen something about a way to do this which causes a gallery or offset in the lid that makes it fit perfectly. I CAN'T FIND THIS BY GOOGLING! And I'm ready to cut and want to do it that way!!! Anyone know what I mean and can send me to the instructions??

Ginny C

Not sure if this is what your're looking for....

Patti

THANK YOU!! Exactly! I'll now go down (cellar studio) and do it! I've made a tall spherical form and chattered it so I need to cut the top with one line around rather than up and down. If it works I'll post a photo!

Ginny

ps do you know why he calls it a yo-yo jar??

Ah! Well, mine is much taller so it doesn't look like a yo-yo, but I see that his does.

Thanks, Patti, for your link...another way to do it!

I wonder if anyone noticed that I said I'd chattered the pot, which means that it was already leather hard and then some! I didn't think about that until I started to push in to form the flange. Of course it was way to stiff to work right, and I ended up having to pretty much hand carve the thing! At least it didn't completely ruin the chattering, but it is an experiment I won't repeat on a leather hard pot!

ginny