What is the one piece of your own ware that you use the most and why? | Q.O.W. 3/5/2013

Guest JBaymore

OK.... you know you have it. Yeah....you should probably use others pieces.....but there is that one item..........

What is the one piece of your own ware that you use the most, and why?

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

(Thanks to former Board member Larry Kruzan for this question.)

Coffee Mug. I drink lots of coffee and always use one of my best mugs until one day I realize that the mug I'm using sucks and that now I'm making much better mugs. One of the best things that happens to me is making a new pot that suddenly makes all the pots of that type that I've made before look bad.

Jim

I don't believe there is just one, but it's got to be mugs for me too, I have many mugs and many favourites, breakfast is usually on one of my plates along with OJ in a beaker of mine.

Dear All,

Mine is bowls--hands down. I love using my own bowls for a while then I end up giving them away and have a new set to use at home. I also use a lot of plates that I have made. Cups I find finicky. I should really do more practice to make the ultimate shape. Right now, I drink from my old Robin Hopper mugs. I also like Thomas Aiken's style of mugs. But again, from my own collection of my stuff it is bowls.

Nelly

For me it is not one bowl, but three. I made a set of four soda fired cereal/soup bowls that were designed to stack in a cupboard nicely. When I was cleaning them up after firing, I had one drop to the floor a break into several pieces, making a set of three. Since they wer intended to be a set of four for sale, I adopted them into my own use.

John

I use bowls and plates and cups, mostly to make sure the glazes are durable in the dishwasher, but I also feed my dogs in reject bowls. When they get dirty, they just get tossed.

Mugs, batter bowls, really large bowls for mixing or salads.

OK.... you know you have it. Yeah....you should probably use others pieces.....but there is that one item..........

What is the one piece of your own ware that you use the most, and why?

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

(Thanks to former Board member Larry Kruzan for this question.)

A stoneware tea mug I made as an undergraduate student. It's one of the first things I made when I started throwing. I have others that are more "refined" but they are not the same, my tea just tastes better in that old mug!

A set of tumblers we've been using for a few years. They're light and strong made from the heaviest grogged clay I have ever used and formed from slabs rolled 1/8th inch thick. My husband has dropped them maybe a dozen times even on tile, they have yet to break.

We use plates and bowls I made a few years ago.......pasta bowls and one-handle soup/cereal bowls. My fiancee uses one of my coffee mugs every morning, but I have a Barbara Knutson mug that I love and use daily. There's just something special about serving food or eating/drinking from a vessel created out of a bag of clay!

Archived