#1 cstovin

cstovin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hello

When you write sayings, quotes, etc on your clay surfaces what do you find works best? Rubber stamps? Hand lettering? Stencils? Metal Stamps? Is there something I am not mentioning?

Also, when wanting to inscribe something on your clay surface, what is the best time to add it; when it is rolled or thrown? After it is leather hard? Suggestions?
Thank you all!

Charlene

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,652 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

I like leather hard stage for inscribing on the surface.

Marcia

#3 Karen B

Karen B

Potter 1981-present

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hello

When you write sayings, quotes, etc on your clay surfaces what do you find works best? Rubber stamps? Hand lettering? Stencils? Metal Stamps? Is there something I am not mentioning?

Also, when wanting to inscribe something on your clay surface, what is the best time to add it; when it is rolled or thrown? After it is leather hard? Suggestions?
Thank you all!

Charlene

I find that wooden stamps work the best, they don't stick. Rubber sticks unless you use cornstarch. I haven't used metal. If I want to write on the clay, I have found that a pencil with a rounded point makes a nice line. If there are edges scraped up when I write, I wait until they are harder, not dry, and just brush off with my fingers or a flat trimming tool.

#4 cstovin

cstovin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thank you, can't wait to try again - I think I must be trying when it is too wet; most of the time I get a goopy clay string to pick out of my impressions;
C.

#5 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,435 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Hello

Thank you all!

Charlene

I am used to doing calligraphy on paper, so when it came to working on the clay, I made a bamboo tool out of a chopstick that was shaped like a C Speedball tip. Working with lines and curves for the lettering line, I would test out on paper then work it on the clay doing the same strokes. If done when the clay is just leather hard, you can get a pretty good edge that goes from thick to thin.
Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#6 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hello

Thank you all!

Charlene

I am used to doing calligraphy on paper, so when it came to working on the clay, I made a bamboo tool out of a chopstick that was shaped like a C Speedball tip. Working with lines and curves for the lettering line, I would test out on paper then work it on the clay doing the same strokes. If done when the clay is just leather hard, you can get a pretty good edge that goes from thick to thin.

Ooh - I just love to see when people can do calligraphy! Such a lost art

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users