Writing on Clay Surfaces.....

Hello

When you write sayings, quotes, etc on your clay surfaces what do you find works best? Rubber stamps? Hand lettering? Stencils? Metal Stamps? Is there something I am not mentioning?

Also, when wanting to inscribe something on your clay surface, what is the best time to add it; when it is rolled or thrown? After it is leather hard? Suggestions?

Thank you all!

Charlene

Hello

When you write sayings, quotes, etc on your clay surfaces what do you find works best? Rubber stamps? Hand lettering? Stencils? Metal Stamps? Is there something I am not mentioning?

Also, when wanting to inscribe something on your clay surface, what is the best time to add it; when it is rolled or thrown? After it is leather hard? Suggestions?

Thank you all!

Charlene

I find that wooden stamps work the best, they don't stick. Rubber sticks unless you use cornstarch. I haven't used metal. If I want to write on the clay, I have found that a pencil with a rounded point makes a nice line. If there are edges scraped up when I write, I wait until they are harder, not dry, and just brush off with my fingers or a flat trimming tool.

Hello

Thank you all!

Charlene

I am used to doing calligraphy on paper, so when it came to working on the clay, I made a bamboo tool out of a chopstick that was shaped like a C Speedball tip. Working with lines and curves for the lettering line, I would test out on paper then work it on the clay doing the same strokes. If done when the clay is just leather hard, you can get a pretty good edge that goes from thick to thin.

Hello

Thank you all!

Charlene

I am used to doing calligraphy on paper, so when it came to working on the clay, I made a bamboo tool out of a chopstick that was shaped like a C Speedball tip. Working with lines and curves for the lettering line, I would test out on paper then work it on the clay doing the same strokes. If done when the clay is just leather hard, you can get a pretty good edge that goes from thick to thin.

Ooh - I just love to see when people can do calligraphy! Such a lost art

Archived