Raku reduction materials

It's not worth the money! ha,ha. No pun intended. We use dry leaves that are raked in the fall. I don't even rake them. I pick them up already bagged from the back lane. People put them in clear plastic bags, so you know what you are getting. You could also use shredded newspaper. I get bags of shredded paper from the photocopy room. Also free.smile.gif

TJR.

While they are probably right about it not being worth the effort or money, you never know until you try. For example, no one here knew what strange things would happen when you fire a penny until someone did it and posted pictures. Maybe there's something in the special ink or the silk in the paper that will make you the discoverer of something amazing. If that happens let us know so we don't have to waste the time and money to discover it ourselves.

Jim

Are you located in the city or in the country? I was smoking some pots and some one called the fire department on me. I was using newspapers, there was fall leaves all around me, the fireman told me if I had used any of the leaves I would have gotten a expensive ticket. Have you look in commercial recycle bins or contact companies that do commercial shredding for business? Denice

I wouldn't imagine, shredded money would burn efficiently anyway, compared to other, free, materials, because of its cloth-like make up.

Denice, I've often got some stares, firing my trashcan Raku kiln. When I was planning a firing, for my Art Club students, at my school, I showed a picture of the kiln to my principal. His first question was, "Did anyone call you in for making meth?"

I wouldn't imagine, shredded money would burn efficiently anyway, compared to other, free, materials, because of its cloth-like make up.

Denice, I've often got some stares, firing my trashcan Raku kiln. When I was planning a firing, for my Art Club students, at my school, I showed a picture of the kiln to my principal. His first question was, "Did anyone call you in for making meth?"

And how did he know that?

Speaking of drugs when the firemen showed up in my back yard I rushed over and said "I was just smoking some pots", my husband ran over and starting rambling that I meant pottery. They shook there heads and told me to get a bucket of sand to have near the fire and to call before I tried this again. Denice

Hmmm.....good question. But somethings are better left unanswered.

To be honest though, my whole set up does look suspect, to say the least. It doesn't help, that when I fire at home, it's in my back driveway, right across an alley from a park.......

Obviously the principal was not a fan of "Breaking Bad" or he would have known that was a silly comment.

Jim

Thank you everyone for the input. Just to answer a couple questions. I live in rural WA so burning outside is ok as long as there is no burn ban; so early spring and fall are ok.

I like the idea of using the currency in a tin foil saggar in a barrel firing.

I think I will give it a try and see what happens. Will post results.

So while randomly searching for shredded newspaper online I happened to find this

http://www.moneyfact...uscurrency.aspx

I kinda like the idea of using shredded currency in Raku reduction but not sure if it would be successful. Anyone have any experience or thoughts about this?

I use wrapping paper you know like for xmass presents, the colorful paper. The ink helps with the reduction

Obviously the principal was not a fan of "Breaking Bad" or he would have known that was a silly comment.

Jim

He would have also suspected the science department first, or at least the Chemistry teacher.

Archived