#21 AtomicAxe

AtomicAxe

Skilled Mud Bug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

At the school I do my work in ... through donations only I estimated about 500 pounds of barium is sitting in the back closet in various containers and bags. I personally hate the stuff ... I can see on a purely sculptural piece why people like it in a glaze ... but in a studio that has students who don't know dink about glazes ... it's not good to have just sitting there. I will use lithium and deal with the colors not being AS vibrant ... but barium ... yeah ... that is a beast of many backs, none of which are nice.

As it is i'm going to make a push to throw away the large mass of barium that will only serve to cause harm ... will keep maybe a small container for those that know how to use it for their personal use .. but really ... if other potters give it away to keep it out of their studio ... why would a SCHOOL want it.

#22 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Because it costs a lot to dispose of toxic chemicals.
In order to thow toxic cheicals away, they must be handled as has-mats and taken to the proper disposal site.
To have the chemicals tested costs a lot.
So, if you can find potters who WANT he barium for their private studio, it would save you a lot of money.
I had a friend in Ohio who took a trailer load of chemicals from the heirs of a potters. It was going to cost them $10,000 to dispose of the chemicals.
She hauled the materials away, advertised them for free and gave them to potters who wanted them. Hazardous or not, if the chemicals are not labeled correctly, they have to be tested to determine if they are toxic.
It is an expensive proposition.

Marcia

#23 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

Because it costs a lot to dispose of toxic chemicals.
In order to thow toxic cheicals away, they must be handled as has-mats and taken to the proper disposal site.
To have the chemicals tested costs a lot.
So, if you can find potters who WANT he barium for their private studio, it would save you a lot of money.
I had a friend in Ohio who took a trailer load of chemicals from the heirs of a potters. It was going to cost them $10,000 to dispose of the chemicals.
She hauled the materials away, advertised them for free and gave them to potters who wanted them. Hazardous or not, if the chemicals are not labeled correctly, they have to be tested to determine if they are toxic.
It is an expensive proposition.

Marcia

After following this strand long enough, I have come to the conclusion, It isn't only me. Many of you seem to be reluctant to use barium and some of the other potentially hazardous health questionable materials. Thanks.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users