Which would you buy and why?

DVD . . . you can take with you, play on DVD players, etc. Download . . . it's on your hard drive only, not portable; plus, you need to have a good backup in case your hard drive crashes or you buy a new computer and need to reinstall. I'd probably pay a little bit more and have the DVD on hand. Download might work if you get a license for multiple downloads for your money as long as you have a product key. Not sure that is the case here.

DVD . . . you can take with you, play on DVD players, etc. Download . . . it's on your hard drive only, not portable; plus, you need to have a good backup in case your hard drive crashes or you buy a new computer and need to reinstall. I'd probably pay a little bit more and have the DVD on hand. Download might work if you get a license for multiple downloads for your money as long as you have a product key. Not sure that is the case here.

Fully agree here. DVD is better for the long term investment. I have a tendency to build a new computer at least every 5 years, so I like to have things in DVD as they are more permanent. The other end here is if you find you have had enough of it, donate the DVD to a school or library, they would love it, and you get a write off.

Guest scott312

I am going to order some of the Ceramic Arts Daily educational videos. Which format would you choose and why? Is there a downside to the download?

I think they should give you the download if you buy the DVD. So you could use your purchase right away.

I think they would sell more that way.

I am going to order some of the Ceramic Arts Daily educational videos. Which format would you choose and why? Is there a downside to the download?

I had that same question the other day. Emailed them and was told you could burn to your own DVD after downloading. So not such a bad idea in my mind! Instant gratification, too!

• 2 weeks later...

Go with the DVD. Call me old fashioned but I like to have the physical object.

I rarely use my computer since getting an iPad, so I would probably get the download. But only if CAD allowed me to re-download in the future if needed.

You can always rip a dvd and have a "soft copy" backed up for use on portable devices--its a bit messier to go from a soft copy to a dvd.

I just ordered the Erin Furimsky DVD and wanted to thank everyone that wrote in on this question as it helped me decide to get the hard copy DVD instead of going with the download. I will be able to run it on my desktop in the studio but also hope to figure out how to save a copy to my hard drive so I can copy it to my ipad to watch there as well. I also agree with those that said it would be nice if they gave you 1 download when you purchased the DVD that way I would be able to easily watch it on my iPad without jumping through computer hoops to do so.

Now to be patient and wait for the DVD to arrive in the mail in 1-3 weeks!

Terry

My DVD arrived today! Wayyy less than 1-3 weeks it said it would take so that pleased me. I dithered between getting the DVD and the download versions and went with the DVD in the end. I thought I should update you all on this since I know others will want to be able to do what I wanted. I planned to keep the DVD with my desktop computer and copy the video to my iPad to watch whenever I wanted. The format of the DVD files are not compatible with direct copy to iTunes for the iPad. The DVD files are in a .bov format and the iPad needs .mp4 to watch the files on your iPad you are going to need some kind of conversion program. Due to this in the future I will probably just order the download version but I would make sure it's compatible with iTunes file format so I can watch on my iPad which is where I do most of my book reading and video watching. I hope this helps you decide which version will work best for you.

Sorry I reversed the extension it's .vob not .bov

It's some kind of video file extension, but as I am not that familiar with video files or video editing that knowledge does me no good.

Has anyone bought a download version of a video and watch it on their iPad? Does the download run on the iPad without any finagling?

Thanks!

Terry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived