Help with firing

Recently, when I did a bisque fire I noticed from the spy hole that my top elements were not glowing, and the kiln ran for about 14 hours and never reached temperature. I assumed it was time to replace the elements. So I did. When I tried doing a test fire the top elements are still not glowing at all. They are producing heat, but I don't know if they are producing enough heat. The bottom ones are fine and are glowing. Can someone please help me? It obivously can't be the elements, so what else can it be? I would appreciate any help or answers I can get.

-Lisa Grigs

There is a Relay that controls the power to the elements. When the Relay is closed it provides electrical current to a set of heating elements.

If you do not know the make and model of your kiln, you could do the following.

Follow the heating element wire until you reach the Relay. Look for all the markings on the relay and write them down, then go to google and run some searches... I think you will find the relay that you need.

Recently, when I did a bisque fire I noticed from the spy hole that my top elements were not glowing, and the kiln ran for about 14 hours and never reached temperature. I assumed it was time to replace the elements. So I did. When I tried doing a test fire the top elements are still not glowing at all. They are producing heat, but I don't know if they are producing enough heat. The bottom ones are fine and are glowing. Can someone please help me? It obivously can't be the elements, so what else can it be? I would appreciate any help or answers I can get.

-Lisa Grigs

Guest scott312

There is a Relay that controls the power to the elements. When the Relay is closed it provides electrical current to a set of heating elements.

And it's good to now have an extra element around the studio :)

Recently, when I did a bisque fire I noticed from the spy hole that my top elements were not glowing, and the kiln ran for about 14 hours and never reached temperature. I assumed it was time to replace the elements. So I did. When I tried doing a test fire the top elements are still not glowing at all. They are producing heat, but I don't know if they are producing enough heat. The bottom ones are fine and are glowing. Can someone please help me? It obviously can't be the elements, so what else can it be? I would appreciate any help or answers I can get.

-Lisa Grigs

Were the new elements identical, or were they labeled top/bottom or center? A center element in the top section will not glow until around 900F. You can remove and reinstall the elements if necessary because they are pliable since they are new. You should not fire the kiln until you are sure the elements are in the correct positions, because it doesn't take long before the elements become brittle and very difficult to remove without breaking.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Recently, when I did a bisque fire I noticed from the spy hole that my top elements were not glowing, and the kiln ran for about 14 hours and never reached temperature. I assumed it was time to replace the elements. So I did. When I tried doing a test fire the top elements are still not glowing at all. They are producing heat, but I don't know if they are producing enough heat. The bottom ones are fine and are glowing. Can someone please help me? It obviously can't be the elements, so what else can it be? I would appreciate any help or answers I can get.

-Lisa Grigs

Were the new elements identical, or were they labeled top/bottom or center? A center element in the top section will not glow until around 900F. You can remove and reinstall the elements if necessary because they are pliable since they are new. You should not fire the kiln until you are sure the elements are in the correct positions, because it doesn't take long before the elements become brittle and very difficult to remove without breaking.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

The elements were identical. I got them from the manufacturer. I provided the the model number and voltage and serial number. The elements had no labels to indicate if they were top, bottom, or center.

If the top two elements are not getting power, then you probably have a dead relay (digital kiln) or switch (manual kiln), or a bad connection somewhere. What's the model and brand of kiln?

I have a Cress kiln. Its a B23H. It's a forty year old kiln. I've replaced both the switches prior. Cress said to check my voltage, so I'm going to do that as well.

This is my first kiln I've ever owned. So I'm totally new to this. Cress said that the top coils won't glow until 2 to 3 hours on high.

So when I got this kiln I had to replace both the infinite switches on it. Then after all the repairs I test fired it to cone 04. It was successful and took about an hour and fifty five minutes. Then when I went to do a bisque that weekend it was on for 14 hours and never reached cone 04. That's when I saw in the spy hole that the top elements were not glowing, so in response to that, I changed all the elements. Then when I finished replacing the elements, I did a test fire to cone 04. It didn't reach temperature even after 2 hours. So this is why I'm thinking something is wrong. Any help in solving this would be great. I'm racking my brain trying to figure this all out on my own.

-Lisa Grigs

This is my first kiln I've ever owned. So I'm totally new to this. Cress said that the top coils won't glow until 2 to 3 hours on high.

So when I got this kiln I had to replace both the infinite switches on it. Then after all the repairs I test fired it to cone 04. It was successful and took about an hour and fifty five minutes. Then when I went to do a bisque that weekend it was on for 14 hours and never reached cone 04. That's when I saw in the spy hole that the top elements were not glowing, so in response to that, I changed all the elements. Then when I finished replacing the elements, I did a test fire to cone 04. It didn't reach temperature even after 2 hours. So this is why I'm thinking something is wrong. Any help in solving this would be great. I'm racking my brain trying to figure this all out on my own.

-Lisa Grigs

Lucky thing, this is a manual kiln (no computer) so there are even fewer parts that can go bad. Do you have a multimeter? At very least you should be able to check for continuity in the element. It would be odd that it would be broken so soon after installing it, but you never know. Are you sure you have the switch set correctly? Sometimes I've seen people install them upside down so that when they think they are set on "high", they are actually in the "off" position. Its pretty much either the switch, the wiring to the switch, or the element. Check each component individually and you'll have your answer.

-Lisa Grigs

Lucky thing, this is a manual kiln (no computer) so there are even fewer parts that can go bad. Do you have a multimeter? At very least you should be able to check for continuity in the element. It would be odd that it would be broken so soon after installing it, but you never know. Are you sure you have the switch set correctly? Sometimes I've seen people install them upside down so that when they think they are set on "high", they are actually in the "off" position. Its pretty much either the switch, the wiring to the switch, or the element. Check each component individually and you'll have your answer.

I do have a multimeter. I had help installing the switches by someone who works with kilns, so I'm pretty sure the weren't installed improperly.

-Lisa Grigaliunas

I do have a multimeter. I had help installing the switches by someone who works with kilns, so I'm pretty sure the weren't installed improperly.

-Lisa Grigaliunas

Lisa, that is a fairly complex kiln. I would go back to the basics if I were you. Read the instruction manual. Take your time. Don't rush through this. After you read the manual, have Cress walk you through diagnostics over the phone. They are very nice people. I know them well.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Quick update: cress told me to try firing again. so this morning I tried to do a firing. I set it up and just turned the top elements on and there was no hum. So now they are not working. So then I went into the box and tried to see if the wires were lose and to be safe I just redid everything, put the box back on and tried again. Same thing there was no hum and the elements are not heating up. It has to be the switch, wires or the connection. I just don't know which one.

Archived