Help reaching cone 10 in an updraft gas kiln

Kally

1st off cone 10 depending on ramp rate can be any of these temps depending on rise.

2284-2345 or 2381

My little updraft fires well with just a damper adjustment. I never adjust the venturi-only turn up the gas till body temps(1800)

Open the damper and it flies upward in temps -close it and it slows.

Is this a fuel issue as its not getting enough??

Natural gas or propane?1/4 inch gas line or 3/4 inch?

or are you reducing to much and stalling it??

I would set the venturi air to an open position and not mess with them for a whole firing

Are you trying to even it by too many adjustments?

More specific firing info may help.

Mark

Can anyone give suggestions on how to reach cone 10 in a gas updraft kiln? We are getting a stall at 2400. We have tried the adjust the dampers and the venturis but at this point it only drops the temp. Help please! This is so frustrating. Thanks!

Am I trippin or is 2400 above 2381?

2400 is above 2381 ;) But cones refer to heat work (temperature over time...) and the k-type thermocouple that is giving that reading really isn't terribly accurate after 2000 degrees, IIRC. Could you give us some more information about the kiln, burner setup, etc?

Can anyone give suggestions on how to reach cone 10 in a gas updraft kiln? We are getting a stall at 2400. We have tried the adjust the dampers and the venturis but at this point it only drops the temp. Help please! This is so frustrating. Thanks!

Were you not able to melt your cone 10?

How did your clay and glazes turn out?

How high would you hope to reach on the thermocouple?

Archived