Used Kiln Price

Could anyone familiar with used kiln prices give me any info about the value of a Skutt KM 1027? The one I want to buy is approximately 10 years old. The exterior looks great and the interior bricks look intact, although from the picture I notice spots of discoloration. I'd upload the photo but can't do it from my mobile device. They're asking $1100 for the kiln and selves w/ vent. So put another's way, what condition should it be in for it I be worth their asking price?

Also, anyone familiar with this model have any idea how to test the resistance of the elements? Skutt's instructions were vague and unhelpful, and the ohm readings in their instruction don't match up with a chart they also have on their website with all the resistance measurements for the different models.

If I can't figure out how to test the elements' resistance, how could I check them by turning the kiln on? It's a programmable control so I don't think I can just switch it on high for 10 minutes. If I do turn it on to test the elements, how long do I have to wait for it to cool before I can dissemble it and load it into my car?

Thanks

Kyle

Even worn elements will get hot. To truly test them, you'll need to put an ohm meter on the ends of the elements inside the control box and compare that number to the chart. The charts show the different resistance for the different voltages of kilns. If this is a kiln from a home, it should be 240 volt single phase. Visually, the element coils should still be standing upright, not laying over, and should not be discolored rusty or black. If the bricks aren't looking crumbly they should be fine. Any wiring in the box will be a cheap fix. Check the floor for cracks that go all the way through.

I'd turn on the vent and see how it sounds. If the motor is really rattly and loud it may be on it's way out. 10 years is old for a vent motor, if it's been used regularly. A new vent will cost about $350 on sale.

The shelf kit is worth $300 or more new. If the vent is in good shape, and the shelves are in good shape, then figure you're paying about $700-800 for the kiln itself, and if it's in good shape that's not a bad price for a computerized kiln. That said, see if you can get them down to $900! If the vent is rattly or the elements look bad or the shelves are warped, then you've definitely got room to bargain.

Even worn elements will get hot. To truly test them, you'll need to put an ohm meter on the ends of the elements inside the control box and compare that number to the chart. The charts show the different resistance for the different voltages of kilns. If this is a kiln from a home, it should be 240 volt single phase. Visually, the element coils should still be standing upright, not laying over, and should not be discolored rusty or black. If the bricks aren't looking crumbly they should be fine. Any wiring in the box will be a cheap fix. Check the floor for cracks that go all the way through.

I'd turn on the vent and see how it sounds. If the motor is really rattly and loud it may be on it's way out. 10 years is old for a vent motor, if it's been used regularly. A new vent will cost about $350 on sale.

The shelf kit is worth $300 or more new. If the vent is in good shape, and the shelves are in good shape, then figure you're paying about $700-800 for the kiln itself, and if it's in good shape that's not a bad price for a computerized kiln. That said, see if you can get them down to $900! If the vent is rattly or the elements look bad or the shelves are warped, then you've definitely got room to bargain.

I went ahead and bought it. All the elements looked great--weren't corroded or lying down or rusted. Resistance was in range. Got 9 full shelves, a half shelf, bunch of posts. He was giving away tons of cork bats, tools, & a scale too.

I took the motor but not sure that it works. Makes a full buzzing sound when turned on. It's a skutt brand vent. Anyone know if these are fixable?

You might call the Skutt Tech line and ask for their help in figuring out if some thing is wrong with the motor you could buy a new motor on line but I would talk to them first. The info you need is on the side of the motor, my husband said it might need to be blown out with compressed air an oiled. Good luck I would be lost without my Mr. Fixit that I married. Denice

Archived