Recent Studio equipment Victory!

Thought I would share a recent victory. I only have one wheel at home and there have been times when a second would have been great, like trimming or when I am teaching my daughter who recently threw her first bowl (proud daddy

). Several Months ago I was visiting a friends studio and outside in the rain he had an old Pacifica wheel that was in shambles, the wood support for the top was soft and moldy, there was some surface rust on the frame and the wheel head was badly pitted. However he said it worked when he placed it out there for sale and no one came. He stopped using it because he said the bearing was loud and he did not think to get it fixed, and purchased a new Brent that he wanted anyway.

I took it off his hands for $140 which I thought was more than fair and worth the risk for me. I disassembled the entire wheel, tested the motor and electronics and hey all worked great. I ended up having the cut the wheel head off with a cutting wheel because it was so fused on the shaft. I purchased a new wheel head ($61) and shaft housing with new bearings ($25), cut a new wood top and installed it with stainless hardware.

My victory is that for less than $250 I have a new wheel that seems to work great. Yeah! Just goes to show, keep your eyes open you never know what you may fall into.

$250 and a little work, great deal! Your daughter did great! I've Been teaching my son, he's only 8 so centering is hard for his little arms but he can pull like a pro. The excitement and pride we get as parents when they get it, I think makes it more fun for us than them.

I have had my three year old on the wheel, I just let her play in the slugy lump of centered clay tho, let it slip thru her hands going very slowly. My 6 year old only just this past weekend expressed an interest in the wheel so we have a lesson planned for next weekend.

Archived