Your Profile Photo Versus Avatar

A helpful request...

I've noticed that a lot of you have set up a profile picture, but you haven't set an avatar picture. Most forums don't have separate pictures for this, so it's not really obvious... but if you set an avatar picture, it will show up beside your posts in the forum. I really appreciate when people do this, because it helps me keep track of who is talking. (I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is better with faces than with names.)

Find your name in the upper-right corner of the forum, and select "Settings" from the drop-down menu. Then below "Your Options," click the "Profile" tab. You'll see "Change Photo" and "Change Avatar" in the menu on the left... the first changes the photo on your profile view, the second changes the photo shown next to your posts in the forum.

settings.pngoptions.pngavatar.png

Guest Sherman

Carl,

Nice tip! I do think this can be confusing for folks, but I agree that it's nice to see people's avatars. Of those who have them, most are the same as their profile pic (you and me included).

So, for anyone interested, just follow Carl's instructions above and use whatever image you like (within reason). If you already have a profile pic, just use that for starters---it's a piece of cake!

Sherman

Archived