Thoughts on the Shimpo VL Whisper?

I throw pretty dry also... so the spash pan for my ancient CXC was lost to memory long ago.

And I remove the spash pans on the Brents and the Shinmpos at the school when I am demo-ing.

I'd HATE a wheel with an integrated splash pan of some sort. They limit wheelhead access and negatively affect hand position a bit on certain forms.

best,

.....................john

I, too, never used to use a splash pan. But the TS splash pan sits further from the wheel head than any other pan I've used, so it doesn't really get in the way. A 16" bat will fit with the pan in place. And with 11 wheels running in the studio, the huge pan makes a world of difference in keeping the studio clean.

I, too, never used to use a splash pan. But the TS splash pan sits further from the wheel head than any other pan I've used, so it doesn't really get in the way. A 16" bat will fit with the pan in place. And with 11 wheels running in the studio, the huge pan makes a world of difference in keeping the studio clean.

Splash pans make sense in a classroom or other setting like that (or for anyone who likes them). The TS splash pan sitting further from the wheel head gets in the way even more than a pan that is close to the head for me. When I'm throwing a large bowl, I need to get under it at an angle.

Jim

I throw pretty dry also... so the spash pan for my ancient CXC was lost to memory long ago.

And I remove the spash pans on the Brents and the Shinmpos at the school when I am demo-ing.

I'd HATE a wheel with an integrated splash pan of some sort. They limit wheelhead access and negatively affect hand position a bit on certain forms.

best,

Do you use slip or water?

Guest JBaymore

best,

Usually slurry. Small amount of water if I don't have some slurry worked up. Scrape the slurry off my fingers and put it back on the piece as I am working.

best,

................john

best,

Usually slurry. Small amount of water if I don't have some slurry worked up. Scrape the slurry off my fingers and put it back on the piece as I am working.

best,

................john

First wheel I bought for school was from Bailey, the one with the integrated splash pan. Hated it. Hard to clean, limited space even though the splash pan was distant. Relegated that wheel to trimming in the future which worked well considering the splash pan. I thow pretty dry, but use water when centering. Years ago I started adding a little hand cream to the water to keep hands conditioned, and found that it helped lub against the clay-this when throwing raku in Don Tigny's summer classes. Got out of the habit over the years and now throw with water.

I'm going to hijack my own topic, and change up the discussion slightly. As I'm still shopping around for a wheel, what are thoughts on the Pacifica GT800?

Also, this is unrelated, but I keep forgetting to ask. I have a Leach style treadle wheel in my classroom. I had never seen one, until a couple years ago, when I started at this school. I'm not a fan of it, because I'm not very tall, and have to stand to use the thing. The students don't mind it, because they aren't used to anything. Anyway, what is the purpose of the curved arm, to the right of the wheel? It is attached to a long rod, that goes through the splash pan.

What about little brothers/ sisters in the Brent family, like the IE or IEX? I've got experience with the B and C models, but that's it. I realize that the IE models can handle lower weights, but I'm guessing they are still a quality product. Any thoughts?

I do not know about current models of Pacifica but the older ones has pressboard under the plastic deck-Our local art center had a few decks with holes and the board got wet and slowly blew the wood apart with moisture . Out of 10 wheels soon 2-3 where toast from deck and mechanical issues.

I once toured that factory back in the day(80's) and those wheels were super noise free but had some questionable choice of materials in them.

There are many great wheels out there-service and quality materials are what to look for.

The only Brent product I never liked was the kit kick wheel from plywood .

Mark

Anyone have experience with this wheel? I'm a fan of the electric Brents myself, but these seem very similar. I have a Shimpo RK in my classroom, which is a good wheel, but that's my only experience with the brand.

I have a a shimpo whisper and they are true to their names. Brent has a great history behind them, so I don't want to knock them, but do your homework and shop. If you are buying new, you can't find a comparable brent for the price of the whisper. If noise is an issue at all, go with the whisper.

I wouldn't own a Pacifica. We had to change out three pedals on a brand new one bought last year. The first one broke within weeks.

Joel.

That's unfortunate. Is it just the pedal that goes out on them?

Yep. The wheel is okay. It's a wheel. I don't really see much difference between wheels beyond their power and the pedal. That being said, I've never used a cone driven wheel beyond trying it.

The pedals on the Pacifica would go out about every two or three months of ~25-30 hours work per week, mostly throwing, same problem every time. We finally got an older model pedal and it has worked fine since.

Pretty much all I care about in a wheel is if it has enough power to throw and if the pedal is sensitive enough to cover a range of activities. I can get a lot of use out of a low power Creative Labs wheel. I've yet to really see that much of a difference beyond that. They're pretty simple tools, but some are cheaply made.

Allow me to rephrase my statement. If I were going to do clay work in such a way that a Black and Decker quality tool would serve me well, then I would get a Pacifica. They are cheap for a 1hp wheel. That being said, my needs are more along the Makita flavor. I prefer the Soldner wheel for some very obvious reasons if you spend several days a week sitting at a wheel for hours at a stretch.

Edit Note: We recently got some Baileys in the shop and beyond being a there being a little noisy, I'm so far impressed. I'm not sure I like the splash pan though. Time will tell.

Joel.

"Allow me to rephrase my statement. If I were going to do clay work in such a way that a Black and Decker quality tool would serve me well, then I would get a Pacifica. They are cheap for a 1hp wheel. That being said, my needs are more along the Makita flavor"

I like the analogy.

• 2 years later...

I think I am the only potter on the planet with a faulty shimpo. Here is a brief video of the issue;  

Customer support has been great. It's a 2007, past warranty, but they still sent me a new controller board and walked me throught potentiometer adjustment. Still, the problem persists.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a shimpo whisper and would like some recommendations/advice on the shimpo VL whisper (also known as the RK-3E?) vs. the shimpo RK-3D. I like the RK-3D for it's ecstatic compact look that reminds me of the old RK wheels but I wanted to know if there is any difference spec wise i.e. quieter, stronger, faster, etc?

Can you please advise some of the pros and cons?

Many thanks,

Jason

looks like you waded in on an old argument, uh I mean debate. We have had 2 whispers and one Brent for a number of years and the whispers are great. Our throwing though is mostly under 15lbs so haven't experience with larger throwing jobs. Our throwing area is small so the quiet aspect is fantastic and more beneficial than being able to do something we never do.

• 8 months later...

I know folks like those wheels how is the service network side of this brand? Just something to look into.

Mark

I have personally met and know some of the staff @ shimpo ceramics usa, they are top shelf folks who are stand behind their products--I own and have thrown on an RK whisper for the last 4 years and love it. John is correct about the torque with larger amounts of clay, but I am rarely throwing with more than 20lbs at a time, so for me it is not a concern. The quiet is nice as is the free wheeling when not under power.

Okay I know this is YEARS later but I am having HORRIBLE issues with the splash pan on my 2 year old VL Whisper. The wheel is awesome and lovely quiet, no buzzing or squeaking ... but the splash pan is horrible and leaky and now has just completely ceased being able to lock in place. I discovered this after a marathon of red clay and it took me hours to clean up. :( I thought about calling the company to complain ... do you think they would send me a new splash pan? And if so, how long do they guarantee their products? Because I see a five year warranty on their VL Whisper but that only covers a couple replacements. 

I have sent them an email so I am curious to see what their response is. 

love our two, but the one we bought about ten years ago now has splash pans that don't really lock but the one we bought 5 years ago had a better lock, maybe you got an older splash pan set. I'd get the email off to find out. Send a pic of your troubled splash pan with visible leaks. 

Can't imagine any other wheel though because i am hard of hearing and could have the tv or music on when I work using our Brent. 

I have not had mine lock in years.  I don't worry about it.  It was a good reason to learn to throw with less water.  I cannot remember the last time I had any water pooled in the pan.  There is a lot of spray through the gaps in the side, but I try not to wear my dress slacks when throwing :) 

I like the wheel otherwise.  Please post again if you find a solution.

Archived