#41 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

"Allow me to rephrase my statement. If I were going to do clay work in such a way that a Black and Decker quality tool would serve me well, then I would get a Pacifica. They are cheap for a 1hp wheel. That being said, my needs are more along the Makita flavor"

I like the analogy.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#42 mccannr

mccannr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

I think I am the only potter on the planet with a faulty shimpo. Here is a brief video of the issue;  

Customer support has been great. It's a 2007, past warranty, but they still sent me a new controller board and walked me throught potentiometer adjustment. Still, the problem persists.

#43 emptynester

emptynester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

I have had a Shimpo for two years and love it. My first though when I watched your video, and I don't mean to offend you, was have you tried cleaning it? There may be clay built up that is causing the stalling.

#44 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

That looks like one of the two things they sent you-Are you saying you replaced the board and the pedal potentiometer and its still doing this?

my guess its the board.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#45 Negeurra

Negeurra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a shimpo whisper and would like some recommendations/advice on the shimpo VL whisper (also known as the RK-3E?) vs. the shimpo RK-3D. I like the RK-3D for it's ecstatic compact look that reminds me of the old RK wheels but I wanted to know if there is any difference spec wise i.e. quieter, stronger, faster, etc?

Can you please advise some of the pros and cons?

Many thanks,

Jason

#46 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

looks like you waded in on an old argument, uh I mean debate. We have had 2 whispers and one Brent for a number of years and the whispers are great. Our throwing though is mostly under 15lbs so haven't experience with larger throwing jobs. Our throwing area is small so the quiet aspect is fantastic and more beneficial than being able to do something we never do.

#47 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:24 AM

Hey Benzine do u mind my asking what u ended up buying for your home studio?

#48 GiselleNo5

GiselleNo5

Clay Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, California

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

I know folks like those wheels how is the service network side of this brand? Just something to look into.
Mark

I have personally met and know some of the staff @ shimpo ceramics usa, they are top shelf folks who are stand behind their products--I own and have thrown on an RK whisper for the last 4 years and love it. John is correct about the torque with larger amounts of clay, but I am rarely throwing with more than 20lbs at a time, so for me it is not a concern. The quiet is nice as is the free wheeling when not under power.

Okay I know this is YEARS later but I am having HORRIBLE issues with the splash pan on my 2 year old VL Whisper. The wheel is awesome and lovely quiet, no buzzing or squeaking ... but the splash pan is horrible and leaky and now has just completely ceased being able to lock in place. I discovered this after a marathon of red clay and it took me hours to clean up. :( I thought about calling the company to complain ... do you think they would send me a new splash pan? And if so, how long do they guarantee their products? Because I see a five year warranty on their VL Whisper but that only covers a couple replacements. 

I have sent them an email so I am curious to see what their response is. 

I create order from chaos. And also, chaos from order.

https://www.giselleno5ceramics.com/

GiselleNo5.etsy.com

YouTube-logo-full_color.png?resize=50%2C          instahack.png?1

#49 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

love our two, but the one we bought about ten years ago now has splash pans that don't really lock but the one we bought 5 years ago had a better lock, maybe you got an older splash pan set. I'd get the email off to find out. Send a pic of your troubled splash pan with visible leaks. 

Can't imagine any other wheel though because i am hard of hearing and could have the tv or music on when I work using our Brent. 

#50 fergusonjeff

fergusonjeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

I have not had mine lock in years.  I don't worry about it.  It was a good reason to learn to throw with less water.  I cannot remember the last time I had any water pooled in the pan.  There is a lot of spray through the gaps in the side, but I try not to wear my dress slacks when throwing :) 

I like the wheel otherwise.  Please post again if you find a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users