Recycling CM, PMI & other magazines

Hi all ...

I have a cabinet full of old issues of pottery magazines, some going back to the 1980's. Most of these are in "like new" condition. They've been great for learning more about techniques, artists, etc.

But now, I have a problem: I'm moving 1500 miles and am paring down. Question is ... what to do with these magazines. I don't want to toss them out and, as a group, they'd add major $$ to the moving expenses. Plus there's not room for them in the new place.

I'm willing to give them to someone who'd either come & get them or pay for the shipping supplies & postage (media rate) for me to mail them. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your advice ...

Elizabeth

PS ... if this isn't the correct forum to post this, please let me know the appropriate place.

Hi all ...

I have a cabinet full of old issues of pottery magazines, some going back to the 1980's. Most of these are in "like new" condition. They've been great for learning more about techniques, artists, etc.

But now, I have a problem: I'm moving 1500 miles and am paring down. Question is ... what to do with these magazines. I don't want to toss them out and, as a group, they'd add major $ to the moving expenses. Plus there's not room for them in the new place.

I'm willing to give them to someone who'd either come & get them or pay for the shipping supplies & postage (media rate) for me to mail them. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your advice ...

Elizabeth

PS ... if this isn't the correct forum to post this, please let me know the appropriate place.

DALLAS;

I had a similar collection of CMs dating back to 1971. I was renting my house out for one year as I was taking a leave from teaching. I carefully placed them on a high shelf in the basement. Unbeknownst to me, my renter moved them down to a bottom shelf, and then the sewer backed up. Fault of the city, not me. Had to throw them all out. This actually turned into a blessing, as I also moved from that house. We have a Children's Hospital book mart annually, and it is HUGE. I have seen CMs there and other craft mags. You can donate them to a charitable org. like that, or to a used book store, or a library. I doubt that you would get any money for them.If libraries carry the periodical, they will have bound copies and will not need any more.

TJR.

• 3 weeks later...

Old magazines are the best - my favorites are Clay Times and Pottery Making Illustrated. They are packed with so much usable info. For PMI, the only issue I am missing is the first - Volume 1, No. 1, and for Clay times in the first year I only have the Premier issue but have all the following issues. Perhaps ''Premier' was the only issue in CT's first year. Does anyone perhaps have my missing issues that they might wish to pass on? I go back thru them finding ideas to use in class and 'just for fun'. There is always inspiration in each issue. Other ceramics magazines arrive for a year or 2, then I let them lapse for a bit before I get another couple years. Not for PMI or CT - every year, every issue. No better magazines on the market for me.

Diz

Archived