6 replies to this topic

#1 Rockhopper

Rockhopper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I've been experimenting with some locally dug clay (Southwest Ohio). The clay is dark gray, with a LOT of quartz sand in it, and fires to a light buff with dark specks at ^6.

In processing the clay to remove sand & gravel - and in throwing it - I've noticed that there is a distinct chlorine smell released from the water used.

I'm using regular city tap water, which I know has chlorine in it - but when I mix my clay into the water, it releases a very strong chlorine smell - like an over-chlorinated swimming pool. I first noticed it when liquifying the clay to extract excess sand. Today, I was throwing some of this clay and noticed the same smell coming from my throwing water. (I was throwing at a different location, with a different municipal water source.) I've never noticed this with the commercially prepared clay bodies I've used.

Would love to hear ideas as-to what might be in the clay that is triggering the release of chlorine from the water.

(Don't know if it's related, but there is also a dark, oily substance embedded in the clay - that swirls to the surface when I use a drywall 'mud' mixer to blend it to a slip consistency for straining out sand & gravel.)

#2 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Can you describe the area where you are digging the clay? I suspect you might be getting more than just clay from the source . . . water treatment plant nearby? landfill? flood plain, run-off from industrial park, illegal dumping, etc. You might be able to check with the local farm bureau, forester, or geologist; they could tell you if there is anything suspect in the area that might be causing the problem.

#3 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,020 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Can you describe the area where you are digging the clay? I suspect you might be getting more than just clay from the source . . . water treatment plant nearby? landfill? flood plain, run-off from industrial park, illegal dumping, etc. You might be able to check with the local farm bureau, forester, or geologist; they could tell you if there is anything suspect in the area that might be causing the problem.

It might be a good idea to send a sample out to be tested-just to be on the safe side. You never know what it out there if the deposit is anywhere near a road or old mine site. Too many materials can be absorbed in to the body from the skin.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#4 Rockhopper

Rockhopper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

(Hmm... I thought the forums were set up to send me an email notice of replies... maybe I've got something set up wrong - but I haven't had a chance to re-visit since posting, and didn't know anyone had responded.)

I'm digging in a creek-bed, at bottom of a fairly steep hill. Area is residential. Was all farm-land until late 1950's, then gradually developed into residential - but still mostly wooded immediately adjacent to stream. Theere has always been some clay visible along the creek - but this particular deposit has been recently exposed by bank erosion from the stream. As far as I know, there has never been any industrial activity or landfill adjacent to or upstream from the site - and the bank where I'm digging is where my parents have lived since 1957, in a house that was built in the early 1920's.

#5 Rockhopper

Rockhopper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

It might be a good idea to send a sample out to be tested-just to be on the safe side. You never know what it out there if the deposit is anywhere near a road or old mine site. Too many materials can be absorbed in to the body from the skin.

Any recommendations where to send for (free) testing ? I've considered picking up one of those DIY lead test kits from a hardware store, but wouldn't know what to test for other than that.

#6 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Most testing labs will charge . . . but, see if there is a soil and conservation office in your area; they might have a field test kit for use, or do it for you. That would give you an idea of what you are looking for and then could send it to a lab for formal analysis. Landscapers test for PH balance . . . that might be a possiblity.

#7 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

I would check with a state conservation agency that looks at water quality. Since the stream is at the bottom of a hill in a residential area, the soil may be permeated with runoff from lawn chemicals. Until you know what it is, you might want to keep your hands out of it.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users