• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 groggy

groggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hello ceramic community. I am considering purchasing a used kiln wired for 3 phase 208 v. my studio is in a commercial building with 208. however I want to use the kiln as a single phase as I only fire to cone 05. can it be converted? Thanks

#2 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

The phase has no bearing whatsoever on how hot you plan to fire. If you can wire up 3 phase in your studio, then do it. The cost of firing will be the same, but the lower amperage will mean less draw from your main panel, leaving room for more kilns! If you NEED to rewire because you don't have three phase in your studio, then it depends on the kiln whether or not it can be done easily. Contact the manufacturer to see what's involved. It will draw more amperage at single phase, so the current wiring may not be adequate.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#3 groggy

groggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

The phase has no bearing whatsoever on how hot you plan to fire. If you can wire up 3 phase in your studio, then do it. The cost of firing will be the same, but the lower amperage will mean less draw from your main panel, leaving room for more kilns! If you NEED to rewire because you don't have three phase in your studio, then it depends on the kiln whether or not it can be done easily. Contact the manufacturer to see what's involved. It will draw more amperage at single phase, so the current wiring may not be adequate.

Thank you! Coincidentally, the kiln in question is an L&L easyfire 28. Will it have to be rewired because I am cannot access the 3 phase in my studio?

#4 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Thank you! Coincidentally, the kiln in question is an L&L easyfire 28. Will it have to be rewired because I am cannot access the 3 phase in my studio?

Yes, it will need to be rewired. The amperage will increase to 48 amps (60 amp breaker). CLICK HERE for instructions.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#5 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,993 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Yes, it will need to be rewired. The amperage will increase to 48 amps (60 amp breaker). CLICK HERE for instructions.

All too often a kiln of this sort comes from a school or public institution to a private residence. Many times the people purchasing the kiln have no idea what they are purchasing. You often have to weigh the costs of rewiring against the cost of a good deal.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users