Sign in to follow this  
Momeema

04 Glaze/crystal Glaze Fired To Cone 5

Momeema    0

I have a lot of 04 glazes & crystal glazes but I have cone 5 stoneware. I am making ceramic windchimes. What would happen if I tried missmatching glazes? I am doing a test fire but would like some input. I will post my results, wish me luck!

Momeema

Marcia Selsor    1,301

You might try mixing a little of your clay in slip form in with the glazes to prevent them from running all over the place. Definitely test. Maybe try a teaspoon or two as a first step.

I have a lot of 04 glazes & crystal glazes but I have cone 5 stoneware. I am making ceramic windchimes. What would happen if I tried missmatching glazes? I am doing a test fire but would like some input. I will post my results, wish me luck!

Momeema

Hi Momeema,

I think that the fact that the stoneware matures at a temperature different from the glazes you plan to use will not be a problem, you could bisque it at a higher temperature even cone 4 and then glaze it, and fire it at the cone the glaze requires.

good luck

Mara Orsi

www.maraorsiceramic.com

Momeema    0

Thanks! I test fired some crystal glazes last night, they worked out except for a couple. I will now try your sugestion and post results.

Thanks,

Momeema