Advice on buying a used kiln

Hello-

I found a kiln on craigslist I'd like to purchase, however, I'd have to drive several hundred miles to pick it up. (It's a very good deal. $850 for an L&L Easy Fire E23-S-3 along with a slab roller and shimpo 1/3 hp M250 wheel). Therefore, I want to be sure its in working order before I drive all that way. I've attached a photo of the interior of the kiln. Can anyone tell me if the condition of the brick and elements looks up to par? This is my first kiln so I'm not exactly sure how it should look.

Thanks,

Kyle

post-22464-136054142127_thumb.jpg

post-22464-136054144222_thumb.jpg

post-22464-136054147271_thumb.jpg

You can't tell by looks alone, although the elements seem to show no signs of glaze drips or other issues and the brick work looks to be in good shape. You'll only really know when you plug it in and fire it up. I'd ask the owner for a copy of his kiln log; that would show you the number of times fired, to what cone, etc. which will be helpful in figuring out how much life is left to the elements and other replaceable parts.

It sounds like a good deal with all of the other equipment your getting with the kiln you could afford to have someone rewire it for you. A used kiln in that good of shape would cost about 600 dollars here and you still might need to rewire it after you spent 600 for it. There are no guarantees in life but I would buy that combo in a heart beat. Denice

Honestly, for that price, buy it and change the elements! Great deal, if the electronics work. I bought a used L&L and didn't even try the elements that were in it - I immediately change them. It was pretty easy, and gave me an opportunity to make sure the element holders were cleaned out and all was well with the bricks. I did replace one or tow pyrometers, a couple of element holders and a couple of bricks.

Alice

It sounds like a good deal with all of the other equipment your getting with the kiln you could afford to have someone rewire it for you. A used kiln in that good of shape would cost about 600 dollars here and you still might need to rewire it after you spent 600 for it. There are no guarantees in life but I would buy that combo in a heart beat. Denice

Thanks, I'm leaning toward buy it. The equipment belonged to her deceased mother, so she doesn't have a 6-50 outlet to plug it into. I have to off looks alone.

Thanks, I'm leaning toward buy it. The equipment belonged to her deceased mother, so she doesn't have a 6-50 outlet to plug it into. I have to off looks alone.

Based on the model # and voltage you could look up on L&L's www site the proper resistance for the elements and check them with a meter when you get there--its simple and a good excuse to buy an inexpensive multi-meter and learn to use it--its really easy. This will @ least tell you if the elements are good or not.

Hello-

I found a kiln on craigslist I'd like to purchase, however, I'd have to drive several hundred miles to pick it up. (It's a very good deal. $850 for an L&L Easy Fire E23-S-3 along with a slab roller and shimpo 1/3 hp M250 wheel). Therefore, I want to be sure its in working order before I drive all that way. I've attached a photo of the interior of the kiln. Can anyone tell me if the condition of the brick and elements looks up to par? This is my first kiln so I'm not exactly sure how it should look.

Thanks,

Kyle

Kiln body looks to be in good shape, the element holders show that the kiln has been used heavily(coloration as compared to new from vitrification of holders), the elements definitely look like they are heavily oxidized. Considering the price, size and condition, I would go for it if it matches your needs.

Archived