Sealer for Raku that works but isn't too stinky!

Hi all,

I know there has been a lot of discussion of sealers to use for Raku that work and I have searched for previous posts. I have read that some have used an Acrylic sealer with UV protection to seal their Raku work. I know I am asking for "trade secrets" but I am asking for some help.

I have only been doing Raku for a little over a year, so I don't have the time investment having something sit outside for numerous summers seeing how well a surface finish holds up; my larger problem is that I am VERY sensitive to scents. The Raku and horse hair process is something I LOVE and emensly enjoy, however getting through it just about kills me. The first few months it didn't seem to bother me as bad as it does now, but now I have to use a heavy caliber respirator/mask and equipment to Raku/horse hair to keep from inhailing the smoke. Afterwards, even the soot off of the pots still will bother me and irritates my respiratory tract.

The question I am asking, I have an acrylic sealer with UV protection I use; but I hate it. It seems to work fine, but with everything else, it stinks. Not only does it also stink and bother me to breathe around it, you can still smell remnants when you unpack the pottery and display it. I know there are a lot of people around like me that are sensitive to smells. I want people to enjoy my work, not be potentially put off by the smell. Granted, most people aren't as sensitive to the smells as I am.

I know I am asking a lot, but most people don't mention what they use on here other than "Jasco" was mentioned quite a bit; it you have something that you like that seems to work long term, that doesn't smell as bad as Krylon or something like clear spray paint, would you please mind helping me? I am in desperate need of ideas to try for sealer that not only works, but isn't so irritating to my respiratory system that I can actually finish my goods, and be around them when they are displayed that I can no longer smell the finish on them.

Thank you all

Charlene

Thank you, will google where I can find it; I LOVE Raku, but also might have to give that up if I can't get over the fumes; It never used to bother me this bad, but seems the more I do, the more it bothers me. Then anything "wax" or sealer that is a spray or lacquer type just adds to it -

thank you for the help!

Charlene

Archived