Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

I use an ugly one to scoop the dog food out of the bag-

Once i went to the thrift store and made a cupcake tower out of 3 crystal plates and 2 candle sticks. They were all different and it looked very shabby chic. Perhaps your junk pots are able to be used for pieces of other creations?
Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#22 weeble

weeble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

At least most of my 'seconds' are still usable... I just finished potting up a bunch of ugly little bonsai trees in ugly bonsai pots. Now, after a few years the ugly trees will improve and become nice little bonsais, but the pots... eh, probably not much hope there!!! But I really don't care if training pots for my immature trees wobble. They're a heck of an improvement on plastic!
Maryjane Carlson

Whistling Fish Pottery

#23 Marian65

Marian65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArkansas, USA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

Your question could easily have come from me! I think the discussion of whether to smash or not to smash is ongoing and entirely depends on your own personality and view of your craft. While one often knows whether a piece is good or not before putting it on the drying shelf, sometimes it's just fine at that stage but something goes wrong along the process. If you like being 'green' and a piece is just ugly, but still useful, why dump it? If you have intentions of becoming a professional potter and think you will be embarrassed after you become famous, by all means bury those horrid things! I save my uglies for awhile until they take up too much space and then I sort them. I have a particular wonderful friend who has chickens and dogs and cats and a huge garden. She also has a lot of my pottery, which she adores, that she uses for the animals to drink from or for toad houses and a few pieces that I gave her for those purposes because she liked them, but are in her kitchen. What is ugly to you may be someone else's little treasure even if it doesn't perform its intended use as it should. When it's totally wrecked, thank it and toss it onto your pile. My husband is filling in an area beside the driveway in front of our shop/studio, so all my disasters get tossed in one area and eventually get covered with rocks and dirt and used cat litter! I'm fortunate to live in a very rural area, so there is little waste of anything. We're all different in our nature, so do what feels right within yourself. I know I'll never reach stardom with my pottery, but it sells in the few shops where I have it and I give away anything that my friends want. They can't do it, so they think I'm a genius! I keep some mishaps to show my occassional student so hopefully they'll not make that mistake with their own. Come to think of it, since I'm writing this, I think it might be fun to begin some kind of abstract sculpture using all that junk stuff. Wish I'd started one a long time ago. I'd have to have a ladder to add things at this point, but what a fun piece of garden art! Maybe I'll start planning one tomorrow. I had a cake plate that really slumped badly in the glaze kiln. I took it to show the owner of one of the shops I sell from. Her husband saw it and asked for it when I said I was going to smash it. I think it lives in a flower bed now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users