Sign in to follow this  
Babs

preparing raw majolica glaze for surface decoration.

Babs    386

Hi I am looking for a way to make my raw majolica glaze "harder" so that I can ddo more painterly desings on my ware. Mybrush tends to clog up with the glaze powder and so the lines are interrupted.

Hope somepone can help. I think I readd somewhere that you can spray something onto the glaze.Does any one have any hints.

Babs

Iforgot    2

You can fire your ware to cone 018 after you glaze and sand the peice. This cinters the glaze paricles making it a bit more sturdy.

Darrel

Babs    386

Thanks everyone for your practical suggestions as I was dreading having to rejig my glaze recipe for this order, someone wanting handwritten text on some posts..

Babs

Marcia Selsor    1,301

As previously mentioned you can spray it with spray starch or cheap hair spray. You can also add a little liquid starch into the glaze batch.

I think it is mentioned in Arbuckle's information.

Marcia

perkolator    54

add CMC to your base glaze. commercial glazes contain a good amount of this in their recipe. it forms sort of a "candy coating" and stiffens up the unfired glaze, which will be more resistant to your detail brush. start with around 1% or keep a thick solution of it in a jug to add to your glazes, underglazes, and stains/washes.

Babs    386

Thanks everyone, about to bisque the 'thing' and then pending survival, will glaze and decorate using your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Babs