2013 Potters Council Board Elections

As of March 2013, three of the board members terms will be expiring; David McBeth (serving as Past-President), Logan Johnson and Dinah Steveni. We as members of the board and members of Potters Council would like to thank all three for their excellent service in building Potters Council into the remarkable organization it is today. Each of them have truly made a difference!

From now and until March 1, 2013, you (PC members) will be asked to vote for the new Members of the Board of the Potters Council.

We have six compelling candidates who are ready to represent you for the next three years as Board Members and two candidates for President Elect. You can vote online or send in the paper ballot included in the January Potters’ Pages Newsletter (mailed mid January).

Now, we are going to ask YOU to get serious. Read about the candidates below and then have your Potters Council membership number available so you can vote here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9QSS98G

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESIDENT ELECT CANDIDATES

KEVIN CROWE, AMHERST, VA

STATEMENT

If elected, I would like to pursue a couple issues important to me. I would continue building more interest in the discussion surrounding the importance and issues of an apprenticeship program—what’s needed, and how they can be supported. This effort would include feed back from young potters looking for apprenticeships and from those having completed the apprenticeship experience. I would also engage the broader clay community in a serious discussion about the complex challenges in softening our collective carbon footprint in studios and classrooms.

BIO

I have been a studio potter since 1973. Armed with a degree in English Literature, I produce wood-fired functional pots with Asian and English influences. I have taught workshops throughout the county and abroad that focus on throwing large-scale work, tea bowls, and all things wood fired. I live in the Blue Ridge foothills of Virginia with my wife, Linda.

EDUARDO LAZO, BELMONT, CA

STATEMENT

Having been a Charter Member of the Potters Council, I have seen the tremendous strides made by former board members and officers. The Council membership is something I treasure.

I believe in sharing experiences and knowledge and, as such, I have 35 years of experience in ceramics to call on in the position of President Elect. I have been a studio potter, a teacher, mentor, and officer in several ceramic organizations. Additionally, I have earned MFA and MBA degrees, both of which can contribute special skills to the organization. It is “pay-back†time for me. I am ready to serve in a leadership role of the Potters Council.

BIO

Studio Potter; Past President of the American Ceramic Society Design Chapter, Los Angeles; Past President Ventura Potter’s Guild; Past Treasurer and Board Member NCECA; Past Board Member of Association of Clay and Glass Artists, California; MFA from California State University; MBA from University of San Francisco; teaching experience California State University and California Lutheran College; numerous worldwide workshops; author and editor of Naked Raku and Related Bare Clay Techniques.

BOARD MEMBER CANDIDATES

CHRIS ARCHER, MANCHESTER, NH

STATEMENT

At this stage of my career, I find myself getting increasingly involved in entities I believe in. This comes from my realization that the sustainability of something important demands pragmatic attention, commitment, and action. Further, I am driven by a strong sense of confidence and responsibility. I used to see the Potters Council as an entity that existed autonomously; and I had never given real thought to the significant support it offers to artists in all stages of their careers, or the opportunities that it provides its members. However, I have come to realize its significant impact and relevance to our field. I see the Potters Council as key to ensuring the sustainability and relevance of our field in our rapidly changing culture. For that reason, I am keenly interested in becoming a member of the Potters Council’s Board. My experience speaks to being a strong collaborator, colleague, and leader as appropriate. I can promise a strong commitment and effort. Thank you for your consideration.

BIO

Chris Archer is a 42 year-old artist in Manchester, New Hampshire. His studio work consists of functional pottery, sculptural forms, arrangements, and site-specific installations. Following a diverse range of curiosities and investigations, his work consistently focuses on the significance of tactility and provoking physical engagement with the world as a means of creative opportunity. His work has been shown in 26 juried exhibitions, 15 invitational exhibitions, and 3 solo exhibitions, earning multiple juror’s award. Chris’ work is also in the collection of the San Angelo Museum of Art in San Angelo, Texas. Chris began his career after college as a production potter and eventually opening his own craft center that consisted of community classes, rental, workshops, retail gallery, and his private studio. As Chris’ work became more complex and he began to exhibit nationally, he downsized to a private studio on his property and sold the business. Parallel to the evolution of his studio practice, Chris has built a 20-year career of teaching. Teaching is a passion for Chris, as he considers the classroom another medium. He has taught in a myriad of venues including visiting artist residencies, workshop presentations throughout New England, community art centers, private lessons, and at University of New Hampshire. Currently Chris is full-time Faculty at the New Hampshire Institute of Art in Manchester, NH where he has worked for 12 years. Chris is also an active member of various organizations including the New Hampshire Potters Guild (of which he served multiple terms as Vice President), New Hampshire League of Craftsmen (of which he is a juried member), the International Society for Ceramic Art Education and Exchange (for whom he offered a lecture and workshop at the last symposium in Tokyo), NCECA as well as the Potters Council. Chris earned a BFA from The New York College of Ceramics at Alfred University in 1992 and his MFA from Maine College of Art in 2008.

JOHN DORSEY, DEDHAM, MA

STATEMENT

I take great advantage of many of the video tutorials that Ceramics Arts Daily has showcased—they have enriched my teaching deeply! I browse the book area, I seek out residencies, I subscribe to CM…in short, I have mined the Potters Council and its website for too many years! I am interested in serving on the Potters Council board so that I can give back to this wonderful community. I appreciate the information sharing, networking opportunities, and access to resources that the Potters Council has provided for me and other potters in the last decade. I hope that I can move the council forward and help sustain its great work.

BIO

I have been teaching for nearly 25 years, the last 15 almost exclusively in ceramics. Much of my ceramic education has come informally. I have been fortunate enough to teach alongside some great potters: Makoto Yabe and Masakazu Kusakabe. I have taken workshops with incredible teachers: Mary Barringer, Sam Chung, John Gill, and Doug Casebeer, to name a few. I have also benefitted from the entire digital ceramics community, who are so generous in sharing their knowledge through blogs, websites, Facebook, and more.

Currently, I teach at Noble and Greenough School, 7-12th grade students. I have been here for 15 years, serving as Department Head, teacher, and gallery director. Previously, I have taught at Sewickley Academy in Pennsylvania, Phillips Academy at Andover in Massachusetts, and both Portland Community College and Mount Hood Community College in Oregon.

DR. CHRISTOPHER GREENMAN, Ph.D, MONTGOMERY, AL

STATEMENT

Why do I want to be a board member of the Potters Council? It is my desire to represent potters and the art of the potter in the position of a board member of the Potters Council. By channeling my own passion for clay, I can become a strong advocate for the passion of other national and international potters. For the past thirty years, I have been involved in teaching ceramics, crafts, art history, and art education in various capacities. During this time, the world has undergone tremendous change, but through it all, the vitality of the crafts, especially pottery, has remained constant. We potters and our art have the ability to reconnect people with beauty, craftsmanship, ritual, and nature which are vital elements in human existence. In my involvement with the firing team of the anagama kiln at the University of Montevallo in Alabama, I have been a witness to how traditions get passed from one generation to the next, and how the uninitiated get involved. It is about creating communities and coming together to nurture and protect the traditions of claying for future generations. Potters have always been community minded artists, from establishing large community bodies like NCECA, to creating small annual conferences like the Alabama Clay Conference and numerous smaller workshops for potters. By sharing together in a compassionate, nurturing, and cooperative mission and navigating within the changing world, we can ensure a future for the work of the potter. For their artistic quest to continue, potters will need conscious, compassionate support to navigate the cacophony of the field of the visual culture well into the future. I thank you for your vote.

BIO

Dr. Christopher Greenman has been working in clay for thirty years. He learned in the Leach/Japanese tradition at the Pennsylvania State University under the tutelage of master potter Dr. Kenneth Beittel, author of Zen and the Art of Pottery. Dr. Greenman seeks inspiration from the aesthetics of Japanese ceramics and seeks to find his place in what Beittel called the “Great Tradition of Pottery.†He delights in creating forms that allow a viewer or user to reconnect with the world of Nature and that resonate with the Japanese concepts of wabi, sabi, and shibui. Dr. Greenman received his doctorate in Art Education from Penn State in 1990. Since then, he has worked at the Lehigh University Art Galleries and the Kentucky Art and Craft Foundation. For the last seventeen years, he has taught ceramics, art education, art history, art theory, and art appreciation at Alabama State University in Montgomery, AL. In 2009, he was chosen as one of ten international artists to attend the International Workshop in the Ceramic Arts of Tokoname (IWCAT). He has been a participant and organizer of the annual Alabama Clay Conference. For the past ten years, he has been an active member of the firing team at the University of Montevallo in Alabama; the team is lead by Dr. Scott Meyer who constructed the large anagama kiln in 2001.

LORI LEARY, DECATUR, GA

STATEMENT

As a Potters Council board member, I would like to address ways to promote community education in the ceramic arts. I would like to see this happening not only in the teaching of skills to existing and new students, but in teaching the general public to appreciate handmade objects of clay. I believe my background in community and academic education as well as my experience in using ceramics to serve in the community would be very helpful in this endeavor.

BIO

I began my journey in clay by taking a community education class in wheel throwing in the mid 80’s. While working at my day job as an RN, I took as many classes and workshops as time and money allowed. I began volunteering as a historical interpreter at a living museum in Charleston, South Carolina, demonstrating and discussing the ceramic technology of the Low Country during colonial times. I owned and operated a teaching studio in Pawleys Island, SC for five years, teaching adult classes as well as children’s classes and camps. I was fortunate to be able to host workshops two or three times a year, featuring nationally and internationally known clay artists. I volunteered in the community via organizing a local empty bowls project, co-founding Arts by Fire, a guild for clay, glass, and metal artists and by supporting local charities with my students’ help.

LYNDSAY RAE MEIKLEM, BOZRAH, CT

STATEMENT

I joined the Potters Council in 2003, the year after I established my pottery studio. Throughout that time I have watched the strides the Council has made towards becoming a true knowledge base, networking aid, and support provider for studio potters and ceramics artists in the US. My career as a studio potter has grown much the same way and I often look to the Council for education, social networking, and benefits information. Previous to becoming a potter I worked for the non-profit Canadian arm of the Jane Goodall Institute in addition to volunteering time for a health food co-op and animal rescue foundation both of which added to my experience with governing boards and an understanding of how working with a group of individuals with a shared passion can inspire greatness. I currently sit on the board of a local arts foundation (Katherine Forest Crafts Foundation) whose main purpose is in supporting craft artists. I run my own business in an effort to share my passion with others and provide opportunities for all ages to get their hands on clay to explore the wonder, joy, and therapy the medium has to offer. It is a true honor to run for a seat on the Potter’s Council Board of Directors as its mission aligns with my own and I would be grateful at the opportunity to be a part of its future growth.

BIO

Lyndsay discovered her passion for clay the moment she sat down at a potter’s wheel over a decade ago. She honed her clay skills through teaching at children’s summer camps, attending workshops, and persistent practice. In 2002 she established Meiklem Kiln Works, which began as a small pottery studio that offered clay classes to the public. In September 2006 Meiklem Kiln Works moved to Bozrah, CT and nearly tripled in size. January 2010 marked yet another expansion and Centerspace Wellness Studio now functions alongside the art studio. Lyndsay is a full-time working potter and instructor who is passionate about sharing her love for the medium with others. The art studio also offers classes in a variety of other artistic mediums from fused glass to precious metal clay, while the Wellness Studio offers ongoing yoga, meditation, and healing arts classes. The main goal in all classes is encouraging students to first and foremost enjoy themselves while learning. Lyndsay also feels strongly about connecting with community. The studio participates in the annual Empty Bowls Project to raise money for the local soup kitchen, holds an Annual Outdoor Arts & Wellness Fair each July, and uses gift shop sales to help raise money for various local causes. Although she credits her parents with instilling in her an incredible self-motivation and confidence that has enabled her to pursue her dreams, Lyndsay relies heavily on the motto “Conceive, Believe, Receive†which is a key ingredient to a happy life.

PRESTON RICE, TYRONE, PA

STATEMENT

My love of teaching and all things ceramic brought me first as a browser then as a participator to the Ceramic Arts Community Forum. I am enthusiastic about the forums as a place where potters can get help, express ideas, and share their successes and failures—something needed as all too often there are very little local opportunities for this sort of exchange. I have an extensive library related to ceramics, and subscribe to several ceramics magazines in order to keep as up to date as possible on what is happening.

I have always been interested in technology, and the tools that new technologies provide. Through teaching courses in computer technologies, I have a good amount of experience with drawing, painting, photography, movie, and animation programs. I have used these programs with students and for personal work and still do. Technology for me, is not to replace, but is another mold, rib, brush or palette knife in the box. As a member of the Ceramic Arts Community, I bring these passions with me. As a Potters Council member, how could I not continue?

BIO

My college years started with a math/science major that ended up being liberal arts until I transfer to a state college where I studied art education and first was introduced to ceramics—two courses in undergraduate school and I was hooked.

I was hired at a large high school in a small city to teach art. Over the years I taught Art 1, Art 2, Ceramics 1 & 2, Electronic Studio Arts 1&2 (2-D & 3-D animation), and Jewelry and Metalcraft to high school students. I also taught adult classes in the Vo-Tech school at night including: Photoshop, Corel Draw, Illustrator, and Painter. I taught a graduate adult class for the local college termed,“New technologies in Educationâ€. I also taught adult ceramics classes at the high school to augment the high school ceramics budget.

I set up my home ceramics studio after 10 years of teaching to give me a place to pursue my hobby. As with many of us, once the pots started piling up, I started doing small arts festivals, and then the Penn State Festival of the Arts. I still sell pottery, but more on individual orders, and home sales.

My community participation over the years has been involved with the local Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen where I also served a few years as president. I also worked on several coordination committees for the Blair County Festival of the Arts, co-chairing the Craft Market committees. I have done volunteer work for the local community theater painting and designing sets. I have also been the set designer and crew advisor for the high school drama club. After 36 years of teaching, I retired to spend more time with my wife, travel, and pursue my hobbies. I kayak, bike, and camp in the summers. I hunt for a few weeks in the winter with my father. Bowl all year round, and do pottery in the shop as many days as I can.

Hi Fellow Potters Council Members,,,,Welcome to the Potters Council Election Campaign Headquarters! I've received a few emails from members asking if there was a mechanism with which to share personal endorsements of those running for Potters Council Board seats and the President Elect position. Yes there is and it's right here. Please feel free to post your recommendations and endorsements. When you do, please do so in a respectful manner, refraining from any negative comments. Be as personal as you like keeping your suggestions positive and encouraging in tone and message.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JBaymore

Chris,

I am not sure about that either.......because of the use of "handles" here. I THINK that Pres is maybe the only one........ but O'm not sure of that.

It is a little late to do this with the elections ending in only about a week or so, but I'll ask Steven Branfman (Acting Nominating Committee Chair) to send an email out to see if any are. We might hear back from everyone in time to post it here...... might not.

Most are very active on Facebook, I think.

best,

.................john

Chris,

I am not sure about that either.......because of the use of "handles" here. I THINK that Pres is maybe the only one........ but O'm not sure of that.

It is a little late to do this with the elections ending in only about a week or so, but I'll ask Steven Branfman (Acting Nominating Committee Chair) to send an email out to see if any are. We might hear back from everyone in time to post it here...... might not.

Most are very active on Facebook, I think.

best,

.................john

Yes, Pres is Preston Rice. . . nickname of endearment my mother used. When she was mad at me she hollered Emerson Preston!

Hey all,

I have not posted on here in quite a while. I was a regular on Clay art before the change but somehow never made it back. I am running for the Potters Council Board and would like your vote! smile.gif I am intriqued about learning more about The Potters Council and seeking out ways to make it better and more suitable to its members and our current culture. I have been a member of the Potter's Council for many years (ten maybe?). I have been involved with craft galleries (The Kentucky Art and Craft Gallery in Louisville,KY) museums (Lehigh University Art Galleries), and the Alabama Clay Conference. I was a member of the IWCAT (International Workshop for the Ceramic Arts) in Tokoname, Japan in 2009. I also traveled around Japan before and after the IWCAT, including going up to Goshogawara in northern Japan and checking out the international workshop at the Tsugaru Kanayama pottery. My work has been in national shows, regional shows and local shows. I have done about three or four craft shows a year mostly in the southeast. I teach art (including ceramics) at Alabama State University in Montgomery, Alabama. I have been involved with wood firing since 1990 when I fired at Jack Troy's kiln in Pennsylvania. I did fire once with John Baymore in his noborigama kiln up in New Hampshire. Now I fire at the University of Montevallo (here in Alabama) in their large anagama about once or twice a year.

I think that my experience, contacts( local national and international and my curiosity about ceramics will help me a lot as a board member. If you have any input or questions please let me hear them. I look forward to serving the membership in the capacity as a Board Member.

Please vote,

Thanks,

Chris

Archived