Splash pan for Griffin Grip

Thought I'd share a super simple DIY splash pan for trimming with the Griffin Grip. It's a plastic bin from Home Depot ($10), cut in 2 to just slide under the wheel head with an overlap. On my Shimpo VL Whisper wheel this size fits with just 1/4" to spare on the sides. It would be a better if slightly wider, but this works.

No more flying clay!

Dang, I'm going to have to build one of these things for myself. I was trimming plates the other day on the griffin and watching all of the scraps land on the floor. On my CXC, with the tight round splash pan that is a lot of scrap to scoop up! If I made one of these with higher sides to catch scrap I would save myself a heck of a lot of work-whether I use the griffin or not!

Each to his own but it's hard for me to believe anyone would go to so much trouble to use something as worthless as a Griffin Grip. I bought one when they first came out and immediately realized that I had wasted my money. Tapping on center is so much faster and easier and anything you can do with a Griffin Grip (or the better designed rip off of it by Bailey) can be done quicker and easier on the wheel head or in a chuck.

Jim

Why anyone would join a thread just to tell everyone else that he thinks they're all idiots, is beyond me. This thread was about a nifty device to use with another nifty device. It wasn't actually asking for your negative opinion on either device. You don't like a Giffin grip? Fine. Don't use one. Don't comment on a thread about using one. The fact that you don't like a particular tool does not make it worthless, and there was absolutely no need to put down those people who do like such a tool.

Oh no! I hope he doesn't see my posts about splash pans!

Jim

"Oh no! I hope he doesn't see my posts about splash pans!"

Does your scathing criticism, know no end?

Have you seen the Brent "Quick Center" system?

Back to the Giffin Grip, as I mentioned in another topic, I just got one for my classroom, because it makes sense, time wise. It would be great if I could have each student make a couple dozen cups or bowls, and then practice tap centering, and trimming on each. But that aint gonna happen. They barley have time to make three objects on the wheel, in the time I have them.

To me, the Giffin Grip, is a nice tool to have around at times. I liken it to photography. I can shoot with manual settings quite well. But sometimes, it just makes sense to shoot on full auto. As long as I keep in practice, with the more "hands on" way to do things, I'll be fine.

"Oh no! I hope he doesn't see my posts about splash pans!"

Does your scathing criticism, know no end?

Have you seen the Brent "Quick Center" system?

No, it doesn't and Yes I've seen it, but don't get me started on that! BTW, I was the one who suggested a Griffin Grip for someone having trouble centering and, as you demonstrate in the way you use them in a classroom, they can be useful for beginners as long as they are encouraged to toss the damn thing when they learn to tap on center.

Jim

"as long as they are encouraged to toss the damn thing when they learn to tap on center."

Are you kidding, co you know how much those things cost!!!

I looked into the Bailey version(s) you mentioned, and they do indeed have a nice selection. However, after seeing some nice "How To" directions, for a magnetic trimming bat, in these forums, can't say I'd spend money on Bailey's. Oddly enough, Bailey's site also sells Giffin Grips.

"as long as they are encouraged to toss the damn thing when they learn to tap on center."

I looked into the Bailey version(s) you mentioned, and they do indeed have a nice selection. However, after seeing some nice "How To" directions, for a magnetic trimming bat, in these forums, can't say I'd spend money on Bailey's. Oddly enough, Bailey's site also sells Giffin Grips.

This sort of conversation seems to be very familiar. In 1987 when I wrote a grant to put computers in the art department for animation and art, I had a colleague that approached it as "Why would we want those in Art?" We've all heard naysayers of technologies, and those that argue for. In my book, all of these things are just another tool in my tool box. Pick them up use them when needed, don't when not. Does it make me a good or bad artist or person, certainly not.

This sort of conversation seems to be very familiar. In 1987 when I wrote a grant to put computers in the art department for animation and art, I had a colleague that approached it as "Why would we want those in Art?" We've all heard naysayers of technologies, and those that argue for. In my book, all of these things are just another tool in my tool box. Pick them up use them when needed, don't when not. Does it make me a good or bad artist or person, certainly not.

What nonsense. I was being sarcastic. I can hardly wait for ceramic 3-D printers to become affordable. I never really threw my Griffin Grip away. It sits there in the studio gathering dust because I've never had to trim anything that couldn't be trimmed faster and easier on the wheel head with chunks of clay or in a chuck or on a hump.... Besides, it was Neil who said he shot a student for bringing a Griffin Grip to class.

Jim

Bailey seems to specialize in copying designs of other companies, but they also sometimes improve those designs. Their magnet version is clever but why buy it when you can so easily, as suggested by other posters, go to Harbor Freight and buy heavy duty magnets. I'm gonna have to give that a try because plopping 3 or 4 padded magnets on the wheel head instead of pressing down wads of clay may actually be an improvement.

Jim

Why anyone would join a thread just to tell everyone else that he thinks they're all idiots, is beyond me. This thread was about a nifty device to use with another nifty device. It wasn't actually asking for your negative opinion on either device. You don't like a Giffin grip? Fine. Don't use one. Don't comment on a thread about using one. The fact that you don't like a particular tool does not make it worthless, and there was absolutely no need to put down those people who do like such a tool.

Hey! There are some newbies here too, and we want to know the negative opinions!

My problem with the Giffin Grip, and some other tools out there, is that it is a substitute for learning a skill. And, ultimately, not as good as the skill. It's a shortcut for actually learning a technique that is a big part of being a skilled potter. In the time you spend buying the Grip, setting it up, learning how to use it, etc, you could learn how to tap center. But people think it's boring to practice something as mundane as tapping center, and they don't see the big picture of how it will benefit them for the rest of their potting life. It's like practicing scales on the piano. It's not really making music, but it will make your music better.

Don't get me started on THIS...

Don't get me started on THIS...

Now you've done it! Pres is going to call you a "naysayer of technology" and Happy Pots isn't going to be happy.

Jim

I don't direct my "rants" in any one direction. Like a healthy debate, it is up to the individual.

Archived