Photo

If you could turn back time, what would you do differently in your ceramic art life? | Q.O.W. 1/16/2013

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,944 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hindsight is always 20/20........................

If you could turn back time, what would you do differently in your ceramic art life?

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#2 dea

dea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSummerville Oregon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

If you could turn back time, what would you do differently in your ceramic art life?

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

I would have started it 30 years ago. I am 57 now and just starting out.
Dea

#3 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I would take a 20-year sabbatical instead of a 35-year one.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#4 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Started thirty years earlier and gotten an MFA. Now that I live near Asheville, I am surrounded by fabulous potters who are very inspiring and helpful, but I must constantly remind myself to not compare my work with theirs.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#5 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

I was offered a ceramics teaching job at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario the day after I signed a contract to return to high school teaching. Thunder Bay had lots of sawmills, and I could have built a few wood kilns and fired a lot more pottery. I don't really have any other regrets. Maybe I should have married Myrna when I was 17 and she was 18, but I think she just wanted to get out of her parents' house.:lol:src="http://ceramicartsda...ult/laugh.gif">
TJR.

#6 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

I have thought about this in the past but never came up with a definitive answer. My father didn't even believe women should go to high school so I had to work and pay my own way from the age of 16 and then he took half my pay for living at home. I went to college on some scholarships and part time for years before I finished. I often wondered if I could of worked harder, avoided marriage and children and had a more successful career in clay. I don't think I would change any thing I have a wonderful husband who supports me in every way and a son who thinks I can make anything out of clay.

#7 Steven Branfman

Steven Branfman

• Moderators
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNeedham, MA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

In 2010 when my career was 35 years old post graduate school, I was able to purchase my studio space. I would have thought about, and made an attempt to own my studio early on instead of leasing space.

Steven Branfman
Founding Board Member
Chair, Potters Council Advisory Board
Sbranfpots@aol.com
www.ThePottersShop.com/steven-branfman

#8 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Maybe I should have purchased a farm with natural gas in the area of my family roots in W.Va. rather than a teaching career.
Why does Cher 's song keep becoming an ear worm?
At 63, 64 in 2 weeks, I really don't have many regrets. I have had a very rewarding career that I am happy to have expereinced..
other ear worm is the Beatles "64" !
Marcia

#9 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Maybe I should have purchased a farm with natural gas in the area of my family roots in W.Va. rather than a teaching career.
At 63, 64 in 2 weeks, I really don't have many regrets. I have had a very rewarding career that I am happy to have expereinced..
Marcia

The only Cher song that comes to mind is; "Thieves, thieves, tramps and thieves." What song are you referring to?:osrc="http://ceramicartsda...ault/ohmy.gif">
TJR.

#10 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Marcia

The only Cher song that comes to mind is; "Thieves, thieves, tramps and thieves." What song are you referring to?:osrc="http://ceramicartsda...ault/ohmy.gif">
TJR.

"If I could turn back time" ....
Marcia

#11 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

TJR.

Too many thieves - it's "Gypsies, tramps and thieves".

Like some others, I wish I'd started sooner; but I enjoy myself, 'tis all that matters really. (insert working smiley emoticon here).

#12 Idaho Potter

Idaho Potter

Learning all the time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Maybe I would have benefited by starting earlier, but my life now is a distillation of all prior triumphs and defeats, as my art is a distillation of everything I learned and did in that chequered life. I really don't think a change would be beneficial, unless all that I've learned in life and art--to date--would still be a part of me. I am what I am.

Shirley

#13 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I would have taken more Ceramics classes in college. I had a great instructor in the class I did take, but I wish I would have had more experience, especially considering, I have taught all the Ceramics class in every teaching job I've had.
There was a Glaze Calc. class, that would have been interesting, though they only accepted so many students, and I don't think I had enough experience, to take it. I also could, and should have taken the second Ceramics course my school offered. It would have been a different teacher, but I would have learned more. Instead, I took a Life Drawing class, because one of my friends talked me into it. It ended up being my worse art grade, and college grade overall, because, apparently, the instructor thought disappearing from the class every five minutes, qualified as teaching, and offering feedback.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#14 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

After 40 years in clay mostly full time I can say in about this order

Met my wife earlier in life-married late at 48-first marriage for both.

Wish I build my car kiln a few years earlier say 75 not 1980
wish I knew about advancers before 15 years ago like in the 80s
I wish I got a van sooner as it saves the back instead of crawling in and out of truck beds-this is such a true point and also just use it for pottery never unload.
Left my area for distant shows 35 years ago instead of 25 (more money for time spent then selling locally)
Built my shop addition sooner than 15 years ago
Never injured my wrist earlier in life ( I have no idea when or how)

Most of these on the list help your back which I abused for so long-its very strong now but there have been a few ups and downs.
As one who caught the clay bug in High school and have done life my way in all regards especially with clay there is little I would change.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#15 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Marcia

TJR.

"If I could turn back time" ....
Marcia

Oh, yeah! That's the one. Makes more sense. Insert working smiley emoticom here.
TJR.

#16 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I might have gotten that MFA, but at the time, raising a family, residency requirements and all. Probably not. Otherwise, I had a great time teaching ceramics, and have a comfortable retirement with a great wife.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#17 dawn523

dawn523

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLehigh Acres, Fl

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I would have started a ceramic program soon rather than later in life.

#18 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

I would have gone to college for ceramics and Metalsmithing, instead of English, and done art for a living. Can't take it back though, but those who,start young are so lucky!
Nancy
Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery
www.northernwoodsstudio.blogspot.com

#19 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

I would have gone to college for ceramics and Metalsmithing, instead of English, and done art for a living. Can't take it back though, but those who,start young are so lucky!
Nancy

Dear All,

Built my studio bigger.

Nelly

#20 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Nancy

Dear All,

Built my studio bigger.

Nelly

Ditto. But even if it were twice as big, it would still be full.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users