Prehistoric Ceramics

DAY

While using old NYT pages for hand building I came across an article from last September:

"We know them best for their stone tools and intrepid mammoth hunting. But new discoveries in Croatia suggest that ice age humans made evocative ceramic art far more regularly than once believed."

"They are 15,000 to 17,500 years old — the first European evidence of ceramic art after the ice sheets stopped spreading."

"Tantalizingly, several of the Croatian pieces feature the imprint of a finger, perhaps left there when the artist tried to smooth wet clay."

Here's a link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/science/ceramic-fragments-point-to-ice-age-artistry.html?_r=0

"Tantalizingly, several of the Croatian pieces feature the imprint of a finger, perhaps left there when the artist tried to smooth wet clay."

When I was 12 years old, my family and I visited the ruins of Leptis Magna, an ancient Roman city just east of Tripoli, Libya. One of the beaches was littered with pottery. I picked up an unglazed bowl, about three inches in diameter, and impressed on the bottom were several finger prints, and, as I remember, a palm print. I am still amazed that such delicate lines remained after many centuries.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Archived