Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Best Material For Making Wheel Bats?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nanbird

Nanbird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

I'm wondering what is the best material for making wheel bats. I have a drop-in set up with my wheel, and only 3 bats. I want to get more cut, and wonder what to use?

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

I'm wondering what is the best material for making wheel bats. I have a drop-in set up with my wheel, and only 3 bats. I want to get more cut, and wonder what to use?

what is a drop-in set-up. It sounds like cast plaster bats that have a foot that drops into a space on the wheel head. Do you have bat pins on the wheel head or a circular ringed form for your bats?

#3 ~janie

~janie

~janie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHot old Texas Coast

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

We use 1/4" Masonite. We bought a 4'x8' sheet from the local lumber yard and used a bat for a pattern. Cut them out with a jig saw, sand the edges a little and drill the holes for the bat pins. We used the same pattern bat to place our pin holes.

We got 18 large bats from one sheet. The Masonite was $11.49 a sheet, so it is very economical. The Masonite we used is one sided, but if anyone knows a source for double sided Masonite, I would appreciate hearing about it.

I now have another sheet of Masonite waiting to be cut into smaller bats, to save space on my cabinet shelves.

#4 Colonel Potter

Colonel Potter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBig Pine, Ca

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

I bought a Euklid bat that has an indentation for standard tile. I love it for quick change out for small pots and it takes little room in my small moist boxes. For large pots I like the simple bat mold system made from plaster. And finally if I'm going to hang a pot upsid down and pull on it, I use masonite or plastic. Different tools different situations.

#5 hansen

hansen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, Virginia

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

what is a drop-in set-up. It sounds like cast plaster bats that have a foot that drops into a space on the wheel head. Do you have bat pins on the wheel head or a circular ringed form for your bats?

Marcia: that does kind of sound like the traditional plaster bat, with the indented wheel head the bat fits into. She needs the mould, which used to be made out of metal, to make more bats. Or Hardyboard bat can be attached with clay wads to the existing bats.

h a n s e n
Stone House Studio, Alexandria, Virginia

americanpotter.blogspot.com
thesuddenschool.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users