Patterns on clay....how do you keep them there?

This is going to seem funny to most people...I just started adding texture to some of my slab pottery. What I am using for example is a thin piece of leather that was machine embossed. The down side is that the piece of leather doesn't have very deep impressions, but does leave enough texture to leave nice markings on my pottery. The problem is though, for example, when you attempt to do something with the slab, and have to use a sponge, (example when pushing a seam together) how do you keep the texture from being removed from using the sponge?

This seems pretty basic - the only thing I can think of is that my texture isn't deep enough, but it would still get messed up by having to use a sponge to sponge over it. I was making a wall vase yesterday and the bottom side of my clay started to crack a little, I thought it was still pretty wet, but obviously to smooth those out...out went the texture!

Any suggestions would be appreciated - I haven't don't much with textures!

Charlene

You don't have to buy anything, just scroll down the page and view the clip. Basically, when you're pushing a seam together, try using your fingers instead of a sponge and be careful of the design. Getting your slab the proper dryness for the manipulation you have to do is a matter of practice, and sometimes using a bit of plastic to retard drying in one area and a hair dryer to speed it in another.

Number one thing is you do not have to use a sponge. I have never used one in all the years I have been hand building. If you use your bare hands you will get a better feel for what is happening and learn about touch and pressure. You loose the immediacy of this when you put a soft sponge between you and the clay.

Your texture might be too shallow but there is a lot of work made with light textures ... you just might need to slow down and really pay attention to your whole joining process.

besides watching the free excerpts shown below the for purchase CDs and books

Support your local library.

They have tons of info they bought so you can access it for free.

I have very limited income, so I like to take books out and see if they are something I'd want to refer back to before I buy them.

Thank you I went to the library today and got a book; and I am going to try working without the sponge. I can't watch the clip on the referenced page - something is wrong with my download of Adobe; have tried reinstalling it several times and it still won't work - so will have to get that looked at - thanks again

When next you go to the library see if you can get a copy of this book or if not, it maybe available as an interlibrary loan. It is however available at Amazon.com.

Making Pottery Without a Wheel; texture and form in clay [by] F. Carlton Ball and Janice Lovoos, Publisher:Reinhold, New York [1965]

This book concentrates on using textures for hand building clay forms. It is an older book but the information is timeless.

The book that Lucille referred to, Making Pottery Without A Wheel; Texture and Form in Clay, is available at AbeBooks.com for prices ranging from $4.35 including shipping to over $100. If you don't mind used books, AbeBooks is a goldmine. They are my go-to bookstore for books on pottery, with prices that usually (though not always) beat their competitors. Thanks to Lucille's suggestion, I just ordered a used copy of Making Pottery Without a Wheel rated "Very Good", which is usually darned near new, for $6.44 including shipping. Thanks, Lucille!

Jayne

Archived