Zinc question for chemistry people

I have two packages of Mazarene Mason Stain #6300 & #6388 ... the only difference noted on the chart between the two is one contains zinc and the other doesn't.

Both colors contain cobalt oxide and silicon dioxide and I'm wondering if the addition of zinc oxide is what makes the blue areas flux in my work ... I've always used the one with zinc and had fluxing problems ... remember the blue bowl permanently sealed onto the support piece?

Would there be any other reason I'm missing for having the zinc in the blue stain other than helping with glaze results?? I'm going to run tests with the zinc free one to check for color results but wonder if I'm missing something in the big picture.

Stain 6300 containing Co, Si, Zi reference codes are 1,3,6 1= can be used as a body stain which you do.

3= was the Max. temp.

6+ can be used with or w/o zinc in a glaze.

Stain 6388 contains Co, Si, reference codes are 3,5,9

3= same temp

5.not to be used with zinc in glaze

9= requires 6.7-8.4% Calcium Carb. in the glaze

So whatever else is in the stain compositions differ. Can't tell you what that could be but obviously it has to do with a reaction to zinc. I don't think it is for the purpose of fluxing although you seem to indicate that it does flux.

One is called Mazarene and one is Mazarene Blue. I used one years ago that fired an unbelievable Purple violet. Have you used both?

Has anyone on the forum? Is there a difference in the color?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Marcia

I haven't used the Mason Stains in years, 22 to be exact and I don't remember the differences between the two Mazarines. But I recently purchased a #6300 Mazerine sample from Bailey (I didn't purchase Mazerine #6388 though).

I haven't tested it yet but I will test it and tell you what I get as a result. Let's see if we get the same results. I am using Amaco #65(cone 5) Porcelain.

I will mixed #6300 with an underglaze medium and apply it on the raw body and on the same vessel after it has been bisqued. I will cover the ware with Amaco HF 9 Zinc Free Clear. I could also use a HF 10 Clear. What do you think?

You may remember awhile back I asked what the best blue was and did some tests, one thing I found is that Cobalt itself can act as a flux. I compared 6300 Mazerine to 6310 Wedgewood and found that the 6300 fluxed the clay as well as straight Cobalt Carbonate, Wedgewood did not, it contains alumina and I think that's what kept it from fluxing.

So you may want to try 6310 or 6383 Cobalt Aluminate, The Wedgewood blue isn’t as deep as Mazerine (at least with my test) but I think its still worth a try.

Reading Digitalfire, sounds like Zinc can also act as a flux.

Ye olde thread, with results......blue-for-colored-clay-results

Marcia - the 6388 powder in the jar is a beautiful violet blue but the color sample in the book looks dark blue ... I only bought 1/4 lb. so I will mix it up tomorrow and see what happens.

Matt - Thanks, I might try the cobalt aluminate blue and see if that stops the fluxing problem ... I kind of like how it gives the color a shine but dislike it when it melds with the support form.

Lucille - I always use Amaco Zinc Free clear and never have any color or bleeding problems.

See, this is what happens when you wander around a pottery supply store, spot a jar of stain that is a beautiful color and grab it up. Well, I grabbed more than one pretty color but restrained myself to 1/4 pound samples.

Chris,

I was referring to the fired color of a wild violet purple. I don't know if it was the glaze affecting the stain or the stain but I was expecting a blue not a purple.

You shop at some cool stores when you can see the colors. I have to order online most of the time. My closest supply shop is 280 miles away.

Marcia

Oh I forgot, one thing you might want to try to keep your Mazerine from sticking is apply a very watered down coating of pure porcelain to the bottom of your pot (sometimes I mix in a little elmers glue so it doesn’t rub off), I've been doing this and it works, but it will lighten the colors somewhat where applied.

Archived