Leveling a potter's wheel

Hello,

I recently purchased a Pacifica 800 wheel and am using it in my sunroom which has a slightly sloped wooden floor as it used to be an open porch area. My wheel did not come with ways to level it, and I cannot find a kit to purchase that would help me with that. I have stacked papers under the legs, but after using it for a bit, it's no longer level. My husband suggests placing plywood under the legs and using shims, but I'm not keen on that idea. A potter friend suggested putting something in tin cans and placing the legs in the cans to level the wheel. That seems awkward, but I'm considering it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

After I posted my comment I saw this in my email maybe this could be helpful. Not being sure of the Pacifica wheel's feet, this is only a maybe. I have never purchased from this company I don't know anything about the product or products they sell. But this is a coincidence.

http://www.reidsupply.com/products/leveling-devices-vibration-control/

Laguna makes an extension kit for the Pacifica wheels. You can adjust them to level out the wheel if they're compatible with your model and can bring the wheel a bit closer to you, which your back will thank you for. You might call Laguna to make sure the kit fits your model if you're considering it: http://www.sheffield...tery-p/llea.htm

The leveling pads linked above need a metal threading to feed into in order to work properly. You might be able to find a metal cap made for the tubing size of your leg to have drilled and tapped to accept the pads, which would be a lasting fix. you can always use nuts, washers and wood to adapt the legs to the pads but with the wobbling of the wheel, it would wear out over time.

Using plywood and shims would work as well, just make sure you fasten the shims in place and that you're happy with the wheel's location in your sun room.

Hello,

I recently purchased a Pacifica 800 wheel and am using it in my sunroom which has a slightly sloped wooden floor as it used to be an open porch area. My wheel did not come with ways to level it, and I cannot find a kit to purchase that would help me with that. I have stacked papers under the legs, but after using it for a bit, it's no longer level. My husband suggests placing plywood under the legs and using shims, but I'm not keen on that idea. A potter friend suggested putting something in tin cans and placing the legs in the cans to level the wheel. That seems awkward, but I'm considering it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Archived