Less time bisque firing

Just finished an 05 bisque firing on my Skutt 1027. Seemed strange that the firing was 2 hrs & 30 min shorter than what I normally do. I don't usually pack the kiln for a bisque, but this time I had a lot of work so packed it pretty tight and full. I'm thinking the amount of ware held heat better, thus a faster firing. Any comments appreciated.

I don't understand this, the firing is shorter than it usually is but you never load the bisque kiln to really understand how it fires?

Well is there a log of the firings? Detailed firing logs are vital for a ceramic studio. Is your kiln a KS1027 or a KM1027? Did you perhaps forget the preheat and the hold?

You do get radiant heat from a tightly packed kiln. You don't give any lengths of time for either firing, as in 7 hours instead of 9 hours. I always note the time I turn the kiln on low, then two hours later turn to medium, write it down, then an hour later on high. Then I note when the kiln shuts down. I also date the record. This is called a kiln log, and is a good practice, so you can see if you missed anything.

TJR

Kiln is a KM 1027-3. I do keep firing logs and use cones. Have fired it over 200 times so I know it pretty well. Replaced relays 2 years ago and wiring 8 months ago. I'm beginning to suspect a relay problem maybe sticking closed. I watch the kiln during firing and listen to the clicking often. Think I will call Skutt and probably order new relays. I always do a slow bisque and have never had a glaze fit problem. Thanks for the comments. If this were in my MG I would know that it is the "Prince of Darkness" Lucas wiring.

Archived