4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill T.

Bill T.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGilmer, Texas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Just finished an 05 bisque firing on my Skutt 1027. Seemed strange that the firing was 2 hrs & 30 min shorter than what I normally do. I don't usually pack the kiln for a bisque, but this time I had a lot of work so packed it pretty tight and full. I'm thinking the amount of ware held heat better, thus a faster firing. Any comments appreciated.

#2 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

I don't understand this, the firing is shorter than it usually is but you never load the bisque kiln to really understand how it fires?
Well is there a log of the firings? Detailed firing logs are vital for a ceramic studio. Is your kiln a KS1027 or a KM1027? Did you perhaps forget the preheat and the hold?

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#3 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

You do get radiant heat from a tightly packed kiln. You don't give any lengths of time for either firing, as in 7 hours instead of 9 hours. I always note the time I turn the kiln on low, then two hours later turn to medium, write it down, then an hour later on high. Then I note when the kiln shuts down. I also date the record. This is called a kiln log, and is a good practice, so you can see if you missed anything.
TJR

#4 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

This is why it's a good idea to use witness cones in your kiln so you know what temperature was reached during the firings. There are so many times when this simple step pays off and saves all the guess work.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#5 Bill T.

Bill T.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGilmer, Texas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Kiln is a KM 1027-3. I do keep firing logs and use cones. Have fired it over 200 times so I know it pretty well. Replaced relays 2 years ago and wiring 8 months ago. I'm beginning to suspect a relay problem maybe sticking closed. I watch the kiln during firing and listen to the clicking often. Think I will call Skutt and probably order new relays. I always do a slow bisque and have never had a glaze fit problem. Thanks for the comments. If this were in my MG I would know that it is the "Prince of Darkness" Lucas wiring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users