Firing electric kiln in wooden shed

Hello, I have set up my Skutt 1018 in a wooden shed that is not insulated, it's measurements are 10 feet by 8 feet. It's mid winter in the Saskatchewan prairies (usually about negative 15-30 celcius) First off is it necessary to vent this shed while firing? Secondly how hot will it get in there while firing Cone 6? Is it unsafe to store other things in the shed with the kiln? (Other things are no closer that 2 feet from kiln)

Very much appreciate any advise.

Hello, I have set up my Skutt 1018 in a wooden shed that is not insulated, it's measurements are 10 feet by 8 feet. It's mid winter in the Saskatchewan prairies (usually about negative 15-30 celcius) First off is it necessary to vent this shed while firing? Secondly how hot will it get in there while firing Cone 6? Is it unsafe to store other things in the shed with the kiln? (Other things are no closer that 2 feet from kiln)

No need to vent it unless someone is going to be in there (other than brief visits to check firing) during the firing. I assume since it is an uninsulated shed, it's not air tight anyway. As long as you use common sense (like don't sniff gasoline near the kiln) and check on it every once in a while while it is firing, there should be no problem plus it's a great place to dry pots.... Makes me cold just thinking about Saskatchewan this time of year!

Jim

you should be fine without venting the shed unless it's really air tight, but a vent would always be better. personally, i would not work in the shed while it's firing unless it's well vented. since it's outdoor uninsulated shed, you should not expect the temps to rise a whole lot especially in the winter - really depends on how long your firing is as most kilns are fairly efficient at keeping the heat inside. keeping a nice perimeter clear from the kiln is a good idea in general - also, adding a cement board product (hardibacker, durarock, etc) to the area your kiln is located might be a smart $20 investment since it's a wood shed.

Line the floor under and around the kiln with cement board. You cannot put a kiln on a wood floor. I say at the very least put a ridge vent on the roof. It's going to get really hot in there, and during the winter you won't want to leave the door open if there's any sort of wind or snow. If it's a digital kiln, the controller will malfunction if it gets too hot.

Skutt recommends at least 18 inches. I leave my garage door open slightly so the fumes can get out. I fire my Skutt 181 on a cement floor on the factory stand that is on a wooden dolly. The wood doesn't get hot at all and I don't worry about it.

Bob

I fire my Skutt 181 on a cement floor on the factory stand that is on a wooden dolly. The wood doesn't get hot at all and I don't worry about it.

Bob

Here's what happens: Over time the flashpoint of that wood gets lower and lower due to the heat being applied to the wood every time the kiln is fired. It could eventually start to smolder and burn. May take 5 years, may take 30, but you never know. I've seen it happen. It's not worth the risk.

No need to vent it unless someone is going to be in there (other than brief visits to check firing) during the firing. I assume since it is an uninsulated shed, it's not air tight anyway. As long as you use common sense (like don't sniff gasoline near the kiln) and check on it every once in a while while it is firing, there should be no problem plus it's a great place to dry pots.... Makes me cold just thinking about Saskatchewan this time of year!

Jim

Thanks Jim, note taken, only huff gas in well ventilated, non-combustible areas : ) As for the cold, ugh, been hibernating for a month now, only uhhhh 3 more to go........... brrrrrrr

Line the floor under and around the kiln with cement board. You cannot put a kiln on a wood floor. I say at the very least put a ridge vent on the roof. It's going to get really hot in there, and during the winter you won't want to leave the door open if there's any sort of wind or snow. If it's a digital kiln, the controller will malfunction if it gets too hot.

I am going to make these modifications to the shed when summer rolls around, thanks! It's not a digital kiln so that's not an issue and it's so cold outside I am not too worried about the shed overheating until it warms up outside.

I am going to make these modifications to the shed when summer rolls around, thanks! It's not a digital kiln so that's not an issue and it's so cold outside I am not too worried about the shed overheating until it warms up outside.

The shed should be fine. However, you may want to consider downfiring your kiln. I fire in similar circumstances, and have experienced some pinholing from the quicker cooling due to the cold temperatures outdoors. Good luck!

What I meant was it would be a good idea to follow other's suggestions on the shed. All of that was already said. My comment only had to do with your ware.

Archived