A Couple Wheel Questons

I've had a question, that's been on my mind for years, and I figure, now is as good as time as any, to ask. The second question is more recent, and kind of a bonus.

The first, pertains to Amaco Number 1 potter's wheels. For one, why are they so expensive? Don't get me wrong, I've used them extensively over the years, but for something that only has two speeds, and doesn't even come with the frame/ seat, the near 1500 dollar price tag, seems a bit steep.

More importantly, at least for me, I've been looking to find the splash pan, for these wheels, since my first teaching job, where we had two of them. I went to a different school with Brent wheels, then came to my current school, where I once again have two Amaco wheels. Of the four I've worked on, none of them had the splash pan. At my first school, I had a couple large Country Crock containers that you could angle to fit pretty well. I've not been able to acquire those same containers at my current school, so I have to make due, with empty Cool Whip containers, which barely work at all.

I've found some of the splash pans for sale on Amaco's site, but they go for fifty bucks. Much like the wheel itself, that seems a bit steep.

Does anyone know where I can find the pans cheaper? Or are there any suggestions for a good, durable alternative?

In regards to my second question, I need some feedback on a wheel. I've been looking to get one for myself at home, and been watching classifieds and auction sites. I have yet to find anything great or cheap. Though I did come across a Brent Model AK. It is going for dirt cheap, including shipping. But I am unfamiliar with that type of Brent and had some questions.

For one, it has a wood top, which I've never seen. The top is beat, to say the least. I wouldn't have any qualms to replacing it, if the wheel works fine, and I can get it for a good price.

So if anyone has any feedback regarding this wheel, I'd appreciate it. There are quite a few pictures posted of it on eBay, where I found it. Just type in Potter's Wheel, and it's one of the first results.

Thanks all.

I've had a question, that's been on my mind for years, and I figure, now is as good as time as any, to ask. The second question is more recent, and kind of a bonus.

The first, pertains to Amaco Number 1 potter's wheels. For one, why are they so expensive? Don't get me wrong, I've used them extensively over the years, but for something that only has two speeds, and doesn't even come with the frame/ seat, the near 1500 dollar price tag, seems a bit steep.

More importantly, at least for me, I've been looking to find the splash pan, for these wheels, since my first teaching job, where we had two of them. I went to a different school with Brent wheels, then came to my current school, where I once again have two Amaco wheels. Of the four I've worked on, none of them had the splash pan. At my first school, I had a couple large Country Crock containers that you could angle to fit pretty well. I've not been able to acquire those same containers at my current school, so I have to make due, with empty Cool Whip containers, which barely work at all.

I've found some of the splash pans for sale on Amaco's site, but they go for fifty bucks. Much like the wheel itself, that seems a bit steep.

Does anyone know where I can find the pans cheaper? Or are there any suggestions for a good, durable alternative?

In regards to my second question, I need some feedback on a wheel. I've been looking to get one for myself at home, and been watching classifieds and auction sites. I have yet to find anything great or cheap. Though I did come across a Brent Model AK. It is going for dirt cheap, including shipping. But I am unfamiliar with that type of Brent and had some questions.

For one, it has a wood top, which I've never seen. The top is beat, to say the least. I wouldn't have any qualms to replacing it, if the wheel works fine, and I can get it for a good price.

So if anyone has any feedback regarding this wheel, I'd appreciate it. There are quite a few pictures posted of it on eBay, where I found it. Just type in Potter's Wheel, and it's one of the first results.

Thanks all.

Good question about the #1 Amaco. I had one in my studio when I first started teaching. the only thing I could figure was that the aluminum splash pan was a lot of metal. Otherwise this wheel is not worth messing with. More of a motorized banding wheel which is what we used it for. The other thing is that it is a direct drive wheel, no belts etc. has what would be considered a differential.

As to buying a wheel, look at Craigs, see what pops up. I bought my first wheel-an Amaco motorized kick and used it for years, still have it. Now days I use a Brent CXC, I like the unstoppable power especially when centering 20-30 lbs. Best bet is to buy a decent wheel that will last you, not waste money on something that really will not make you happy. For the studio at school I had CI MP, and HP, and the Bailey wheels-top end with removable pan. Liked them all. Baileys were cheaper but still good wheels.

I'm not a fan of those old/new amaco wheels -as Pres said oversized banding wheels.

I checked out that wheel on E-bay-That Brent model AK on e-bay is toast-not sure if they ever made a model AK-they did make one with a formica top but the sides where not metal. That wheel has a brent head and pedal but its toast.

Get a better wheel and you will be happier. That one has been left outside longer than dirt and its past poor condition. Its a money pit and you will have more fun burning the bills one at a time.

as for splash pans most cost around 50$-look for a sale to buy one for a brent. Amaco well I turned one down for free once-nuff said.

Mark

Benzine;

Like Pres and Mark, I am the proud owner of a Brent CXC. Fabulous wheel. I have been throwing on it for 35 years plus.I bought a second Brent, a Brent B for $700.00. Still a good wheel. If I were going to have wheels in my classroom, I would go for the Whisper. No sound at all. That is the only flaw with the Brent. It whines.

TJR.

I have a Brent EX (1.5 hp). When I bought it (after taking a 35-year sabbatical from pottery) I actually believed I needed a wheel that could center over 100 lbs! I'm happy with it even though I don't need that much hp but the speed control isn't as good as my old Shimpo. (Yes, I know you can adjust it and I have.)

Jim

Thanks for the information all. I'll keep my eye on the various sale, auction places, for a cheap, but good wheel. There have been a couple Shimpo wheels on eBay, but they were no where near, where I live, so I didn't even bid.

I'm a fan of Brent wheels, as I've had good experience with those. If I had a choice, that's what I'd go with. The second school I taught at had several of them. Though, the previous instructor had a stack of three or four that had broke down in years past. I had a couple go out on me. Sometimes it was something as simple as a fuse, other times, it was the whole, power switch assembly. If I would have had more time, I would have fixed them myself.....or at least tried to.

I've honestly got no problem with the Amaco wheels, other than the fact they are just two speed.....And have don't include the splash pan standard.....

As I said, I'll keep looking. I definitely do want something that will last me years.

From what I've seen of used wheels out there, the Brent is the likely quality wheel to find. I don't know about the one you spoke of, but in general I've seen more Brents than any other brand, and they make a good wheel. For me, I prefer the Soldner. I think the most important part of a wheel is the pedal.

Joel.

Archived