Wax resist over glaze

Hi,

I would like to follow Linda Arbuckle's video for majolica decoration. If I'm not wrong, after decorating with GCDs she use some wax resist before giving the background color.

Should anyone give me some hints about which kind of wax resist I should use? I would appreciate any easy-to-find suggestion since I'm not sure to be able to find

USA commercial products in Italy. Is a hot wax resist with paraffin fine?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alessia

Thanks.

I should understand if these sellers ship also in Italy and... if shipping costs are not crazy ;)

I don't think it is easy to find similar items in Italy. Colorobbia (I guess Marcia is referring to them, Della Robbia is a famous italian artist) has nothing similar to liquid wax resist.

I tried looking for liquid wax resist several time but without any success up to now. This is the reason

why I'm wondering if paraffin or some other easy-to-find product can be used.

Thanks.

I should understand if these sellers ship also in Italy and... if shipping costs are not crazy wink.gif

I don't think it is easy to find similar items in Italy. Colorobbia (I guess Marcia is referring to them, Della Robbia is a famous italian artist) has nothing similar to liquid wax resist.

I tried looking for liquid wax resist several time but without any success up to now. This is the reason

why I'm wondering if paraffin or some other easy-to-find product can be used.

I think wax would disturb the glaze during application because it could chill. A liquid acrylic medium (used in painting) diluted might work and does burn off clean. Look at one other European distributors like Ceradel in France. They are all over France. Someone should have an equivalent.

Marcia

Marcia,

thanks for the recommendation of using the acrylic medium. I tried wax ontop of glaze and after it dried it started to peel up, taking some glaze with it. Is this normal? I'm not sure what is in it. It is a liquid wax sold by a local supplier.

-chantay

Emulsion wax like Aftosa , Archie Bray liquid wax, Etc. will lay ov a glaze. Paraffin may cover a glaze if you dip it when it is very not by brushing it over a glaze. It cools too quickly.

I have use diluted acrylic medium but I have not tried it for this purpose although I think It would work.

Marcia

Emulsion wax like Aftosa , Archie Bray liquid wax, Etc. will lay ov a glaze. Paraffin may cover a glaze if you dip it when it is very not by brushing it over a glaze. It cools too quickly.

I have use diluted acrylic medium but I have not tried it for this purpose although I think It would work.

Marcia

Hi Marcia,

thanks a lot. I looked at ceradel. They have something called "wax resist" however in the catalog they say it is paraffin based. I'm not sure it is fine. I will try to understand better.

I have also found latex and peel off mask but I'm not sure they work fine for this kind of decoration.

Which kind of acrylic medium have you used for your work? I may try to look for them.

Thanks again

Alessia

Hi Alessia,

Here I found out that you can make your own wax resist. You can fill up a small bottle with candles, you use for warming the tea, and fill the empty space with white spirit. Of course only the wax of the candles. After that you put the bottle in hot/warm water so everything is liquid. That resist you can use for yor pottery. This recipe I found in an article in the forum of "Klei" a Dutch magazine.

I hope you can use this recipe.

Teresa

Hi Alessia,

Here I found out that you can make your own wax resist. You can fill up a small bottle with candles, you use for warming the tea, and fill the empty space with white spirit. Of course only the wax of the candles. After that you put the bottle in hot/warm water so everything is liquid. That resist you can use for yor pottery. This recipe I found in an article in the forum of "Klei" a Dutch magazine.

I hope you can use this recipe.

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

thans a lot. I will try. To be sure, by white spirit do you mean the one which is used for preparing alcoholic drinks at 95 degree?

For Shirley: I have tried with shellac but it didn't work well. Not very resisting.

Alessia

I use wax on top of glaze all the time. I use the same water based wax resist I use for glazing. The key to keeping it from peeling off is to thin it down with water. If it goes on too thick it will peel up. Of course, too thin and it won't resist well. It'll take some practice to figure out what works best with your wax. I get my wax from Ceramic Supply Supply, which they get from Ceramic Supply in NJ. It's the only brand I've found that doesn't gum up brushes. Washes out clean with just water and never ruins brushes.

post-6933-135759334595_thumb.jpeg

post-6933-135759334595_thumb.jpeg

• 7 months later...

Many thanks oldlady... I will be hunting for this product which I remember from years ago. In the meantime, I started using an old ceramic aromatherapy oil burner which keeps the minute amount of wax I need at a constant temperature. So easy to use. But the liquid wax would be even better.

Archived