Photo
- - - - -

Possible Repair Of Broken Bone-Dry Tile?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EASloan

EASloan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:15 AM

Good morning everyone,

I'm a newbie to ceramic tile making and have a question. I broke one of my tiles in a mosaic and it is in the bone-dry state and underglazed. Is it possible to rejoin these two pieces with a slip made from the same clay body, or do I have to recarve the one tile? Thanks for any insight into this. Eddie

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

Mix up some patch with toilet paper and your slip. dampen both sides and join together. I have also patch bisque this was as well. It takes more dampening on bisque. Put the toilet paper in water overnight. Then in a blender with a drier version of your slip so the water in the TP doesn't make the solution thinner than desired. You want a paste/slip consistency.

#3 Dinah

Dinah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorth of Seattle, WA.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

This works for me. Using a mortar and pestle, pulverize some of the clay body you've used for the tiles. Add vinegar -- white/cider -- until you've got slip consistency. Take a spray bottle and carefully dampen both edges of the pieces to be repaired or dab edges with a brush. Then brush on the paste, marry up the edges and smooth and so forth. Wrap piece up until it's "cured" -- overnight.
Dinah
www.DinahSnipesSteveni.com

#4 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

It also depends on how forgiving your clay body is.

If neither of those two replies work, then wrap the tile in a wrung out to just damp towel, then
wrap it in dry cleaner plastic and leave overnight. You want to add just a bit of dampness to
the entire tile but you don't want to wet it.

Then try either of the previous solutions again.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#5 EASloan

EASloan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Thank you all for the quick replys. I will be trying these possible remedies before the week is out. I have the mural I'm doing sitting for a couple months now in the bone-dry state, and I broke this same tile twice already. I'm tired of making it, so hopefully one of the techniques you've provided will work for me. Being new to tile making, I now understand the beauty of making molds! Thanks again. I'll post pictures of some of my work I just fired. Eddie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users