Tools - improvisions

I saw in a youtube video a guy using a plastic knife for shaping.

When I trim the top off of a pot I have difficulty using the long needle tool because of its lack of support, I use a thumb tack and get it right every time (the point is not too short because I tend to pull too thin rather than too thick)

What random objects have you used for tools and for what purpose?

I am especially interested in trying my cake decorating tools now after reading that thread!

*grins* It's great fun once you get the right consistency of clay/slip. I also recommend perusing YouTube for gumpaste (fondant) flower tutorials -- sooo many techniques that should be adaptable to clay!

I am especially interested in trying my cake decorating tools now after reading that thread!

*grins* It's great fun once you get the right consistency of clay/slip. I also recommend perusing YouTube for gumpaste (fondant) flower tutorials -- sooo many techniques that should be adaptable to clay!

http://finemessblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/cant-wait-to-try-this-with-slip.html

http://finemessblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/slip-embroidery-i-tried-it.html

No need to adapt the techniques. Fondant is basically clay......at least it basically tastes like it....

No need to adapt the techniques. Fondant is basically clay......at least it basically tastes like it....

LOL!! Try marshmallow fondant! It's not like the other plastic stuff! LOL

Also- I noticed that the clay dries pretty fast when trying to manipulate small pieces. Fondant retains it's moisture/ placidity. I have taken many cake flower classes and have som fondant stamps too! This could get fun! (now if only I could figure out how to make a lotus which was never taught in wilton courses! :-)

Also- I noticed that the clay dries pretty fast when trying to manipulate small pieces. Fondant retains it's moisture/ placidity. I have taken many cake flower classes and have som fondant stamps too! This could get fun! (now if only I could figure out how to make a lotus which was never taught in wilton courses! :-)

My mouth was literall agape the entire time! What the hell did I just witness!?! Holy cow! And by the way you win the award for finding literally everything I needed! LOL

Archived