Lusters article in CM by Johanna DeMaine

I just read Johanna's article on Lusters. I am way behind in my reading with holidays, guests etc. Johanna is a member of this forum and I think her work is amazing. Congratulations, Johanna. Interesting article. I did an undergrad research paper on Islamic lusterware in the 60s and her writing brought back memories of exotic ingredients probably not great to breathe.

Marcia

Its great article but what's not mentioned is most of the luster's are no longer available.

I wish a source was mentioned as out west about 98% are no longer around in any shop.Online only a few basic colors are to be had.

The piece did remind me of days gone by with luster headaches in the 70s.

Mark

Its great article but what's not mentioned is most of the luster's are no longer available.

I wish a source was mentioned as out west about 98% are no longer around in any shop.Online only a few basic colors are to be had.

Mark

Johanna is in Australia. I wrote her to ask about that. I have not heard back. Her piece in the photo is really a beauty.

Marcia

Mark

Hello Mark

As Marcia mentioned I live in Australia. However I find the that I can get any lustre colour that I want. It is true that only a few basic colours are kept by ceramic suppliers but this is a demand issue and not availability of colours. Lustres and overglazes have never been seriously stocked by ceramic suppliers. If there is no demand then the stock get diminished and then not restocked. Added to this is the fact that lustre needs to be kept refrigerated especially the gold based lustres which include reds, pinks and some blues. I came to the conclusion long ago that I would be better off getting my supplies from china painting/porcelain painting suppliers or more to the point their suppliers. Lustres go in and out of fashion even in the porcelain painting world and there are lots of little suppliers who just augment their arts practice and do not carry a great range.

Changing the mindset about shopping habits is the first hurdle to overcome. Australia like USA is a vast country and we are seriously underpopulated. I now source all my overglaze supplies globally online. We are fortunate that we live in an era that online shopping is so easy now.

I get all my lustres from Fay Good, Australia http://interdec-australia.com.au/ They have a full range of colours and they supply many people in USA. In the UK there is http://www.held.co.uk/. I can recommend both these suppliers and have never had to wait more than 7 days to receive an order. I am led to believe that they both stock Heraeus products. This company is one of the main manufacturers of overglaze and precious metal products in the world. The ceramics world is only a small part of their target audience. I believe there is Sara lusters in the States but I have had no dealings with these people so I cannot comment on the quality and availability of their product.

By the way the ingredient causing "the luster headaches of the 70s" would be turpentine. Many oil painters also have a problem with this.

Regards

Johanna

Guest JBaymore

Get Paul Lewing's excellent book.... "China Paint and Overglaze". Lots of resources in there for all sorts of stuff like this.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/bookstore/china-paint-overglaze/

And shameless plug coming up......... if you are a member of the Potters Council you get a discount on purchases of books and DVDs (also Ceramics Monthly and Pottery Making Illustrated subscriptions and such). >>>>hint, hint, hint<<<<<

best,

........................john

Archived