Christmas Ornament Mold Sources

AndyL

I used to do alot of poured low fire pieces in days gone by. Some of the mold companies you should look up are Dona, Riverview, Duncan and Alberta plus Doc Holiday. They all carry a good selection of ornament molds.

Hope this helps.

RJ

Dear Dona,

While I have not done poured molds, what I have done and they have been a hit have been the old cookie cutter slab decorations. Know that while they seem simple enough, they do take time if you want to do them well and people will pay for them. It is also kind of an interesting glaze test experiments (i.e., different types of clay/old recycled clay of the same general body, use of different slips, mixing glaze experiments etc.). After they are fired there can be significant refining of the edges if you haven't done this prior to firing. I also ensure that each of my pieces are done with some really good ribbon I would buy in a specialty shop. These can then be simply hung on any type of tree (i.e., one of those wire ones or even a branch) and you are good to go. They sell well at shows. People always want to come to your booth and go away with something.

I know this doesn't helps you find molds but it is a last minute idea.

Also, I have noticed on the Pottery Supply House web-site a listing for some old molds in the past. You may want to watch this site for people who are selling old molds and/or supplies. I watch this fairly frequently as you never know what you will find.

Good luck,

Nancy

I used to do alot of poured low fire pieces in days gone by. Some of the mold companies you should look up are Dona, Riverview, Duncan and Alberta plus Doc Holiday. They all carry a good selection of ornament molds.

Hope this helps.

RJ

Dear Dona,

While I have not done poured molds, what I have done and they have been a hit have been the old cookie cutter slab decorations. Know that while they seem simple enough, they do take time if you want to do them well and people will pay for them. It is also kind of an interesting glaze test experiments (i.e., different types of clay/old recycled clay of the same general body, use of different slips, mixing glaze experiments etc.). After they are fired there can be significant refining of the edges if you haven't done this prior to firing. I also ensure that each of my pieces are done with some really good ribbon I would buy in a specialty shop. These can then be simply hung on any type of tree (i.e., one of those wire ones or even a branch) and you are good to go. They sell well at shows. People always want to come to your booth and go away with something.

Also, I have noticed on the Pottery Supply House web-site a listing for some old molds in the past. You may want to watch this site for people who are selling old molds and/or supplies. I watch this fairly frequently as you never know what you will find.

Good luck,

Nancy

The "Pottery Supply House" website sounds interesting. I Googled "Pottery Supply House" but found nothing. Can you provide a url?

Hope this helps.

RJ

Dear Dona,

Good luck,

Nancy

The "Pottery Supply House" website sounds interesting. I Googled "Pottery Supply House" but found nothing. Can you provide a url?

http://www.pshcanada.com/

Archived