#21 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Why would they want to remove the lead?

Jim,

Two reasons. One... workplace OSHA lead safety standards are onnerous to comply with. (read "expensive".)

Second, lead made the low cones unreliable with reduction. That is also what they went low iron formulation with the low cones.

best,

..................john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#22 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Why would they want to remove the lead?

Jim,

Two reasons. One... workplace OSHA lead safety standards are onnerous to comply with. (read "expensive".)

Second, lead made the low cones unreliable with reduction. That is also what they went low iron formulation with the low cones.

best,

..................john

Thanks, John, you bipedal encyclopedia.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#23 Round2potter

Round2potter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationPortland, Orygun

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Bipodopedia! With so many books out there on Ceramics and Ceramic Tech; we need people like John to keep it all straight for us. Either that or we can start taking notes..... I think i will stick to asking the Bipodopedia.

-Cheers
"There is no such thing as cheating in clay; So long as it works"

#24 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,975 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

yeah i have, the bisque ware usually gets nice and smoky but most of the time i feel like it gets hotter than the smoke can stand. most of my pieces come out pink and bisque-ee like they came out of an electric kiln.

Marcia,

I agree that it is kinda risky, but this woodstove is good, also i am not really firing it THAT much hotter than normal woodstove use.
A four foot fire box would be so much fin; this old beehive wood stove sounds like dream!

-Burt

Maybe 20 years ago our HS had an incinerator that would burn all of the district trash. The other teacher an I made a bunch of pots with grogged clay, used raku type glazes, and packed the pots in tin can saggars with sawdust from the wood shops. We had quite a bit of fun, and some nice surfaces, but a few years later the district had to remove the incinerator. OH well!

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users