#1 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

...and well executed. The decoration is very well suited for this Urn. It is an amazing piece. I have always been in awe of the use of one color with gradations to distingush space, shape, forms, and terrain; marvelous stuff.

It is located in the Fitzwilliam Museum.

Attached File  fitzwilliam urn.jpg   85KB   145 downloads
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#2 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

I am thinking Delft pottery from the Netherland. Some kind of coffee urn. Where is the plug?[Just kidding]
TJR.

#3 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

I am thinking Delft pottery from the Netherland. Some kind of coffee urn. Where is the plug?[Just kidding]
TJR.

It was made in the Netherlands by Adrianus Kocx a greek potter his factory was called 'Greek A Factory' in operation from 1686-1701. The roof is removable, the spigot is silver, the clay material is terracotta. It is an urn or a cistern.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#4 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

How much does a Grecian Urn

uh huh purty

#5 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

The vessel is more than pretty. I have done ceramics in this fashion, it is not easy. I look at the vessel as being well constructed utilizing a very good clay body. It also has an intensive decoration showing great skill of underglaze color mixing and application. The detail and form poses the same curiosity and an almost childlike interest as one would have with a doll's house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users