Slipcasting information

justin1287

What do i need to add to my cone 6 stoneware clay to make it suitable for slipcasting? I have a trash can full of waste clay that is not worth my time to wedge.

I usually buy slip when I need it. I never make it. However you can 'Google' 'Paul Wandless slip making'. He has a method of making your moist clay into casting slip. You may get the same info here on CAD; try a search.

Richard Notkin is having summer workshops in Helena. He is one of the best mold makers in the business.

Work with a Master: Plaster Moldmaking / Ceramic Casting One two-week session only: June 10-21, 2013 (Limited to nine participants)

- Plaster technology & optimum mixing techniques - Prototype design & mold fabrication - Complex multiple piece mold mechanics - Press molding & slip-casting - Keys, pouring/draining systems, vents, etc. - Slip formulation & deflocculation- Altering/combining/assembling unique castings - Industrial/mass production techniques - Unusual/experimental techniques, and much more...

Tuition: $850. For more information contact: notkin@dishmail.net Studio/materials fee: 125. Or send SASE to: Richard Notkin TOTAL: $975. P.O. Box 698( Motel available, two weeks: $350./double, $700./single, or limited rooms in local homes, prices vary) Helena, MT 59624-0698

Marcia

I'll post this under events, too

You can make most clays into a slip body but it will not be the best slip body-I suggest if you want trouble free slip results us a slip body made for slipping. Waste clay is not great slip clay-You can use it but it will take some time and test results it may work out and it may not. I have either made slip clay from scratch dry materials or bought slip clay in dry state but never tried to make whatever I was throwing into a slip body.

Mark

John B. Kenny's Complete Book of Pottery Making has directions for making casting slip that involves a 10 day process. This is an old book from the 1950s.

It begins with a dry powder clay recipe plus diffloculent additives and proper blending of 10 minutes three times /day for 10 days. I used this process and it was very successful . I was able to make slip for particular clay bodies.

Marcia

Archived