MFA programs

Hey everyone (first post here).

Im applying to mfa programs for fall 13 and im hunting for 1 or 2 more "smaller" programs to add to my list to increase my chances of getting into a program. The catch is, I'm hunting for a clay program that also has a jewelry/metals facility so I am able to accompany that with my forms (I do small scale sculpture). I ended up visiting CWU not too long ago and it was a fantastic school. Turns out Stephen is the moderator for this section. Stephen, you were right... small world.

If anyone has suggestions that would be fantastic

Thanks

Im applying to mfa programs for fall 13 and im hunting for 1 or 2 more "smaller" programs to add to my list to increase my chances of getting into a program. The catch is, I'm hunting for a clay program that also has a jewelry/metals facility so I am able to accompany that with my forms (I do small scale sculpture). I ended up visiting CWU not too long ago and it was a fantastic school. Turns out Stephen is the moderator for this section. Stephen, you were right... small world.

Thanks

Im not sure what the faculty situation will be coming up, but Bowling Green State University has in the past had a great, small MFA program in ceramics (John Balistreri+ one other faculty), additionally, Tom Muir runs the small metals program and is a very accomplished metalsmith and a wonderful instructor... I went there for undergrad some years ago and found it to be a great situation in terms of faculty as well as facilites (the metals studio is well equipped, the ceramics studio included two soda kilns, one wood kiln, one salt kiln, two gas reduction kilns, a host of electric top-loaders and if Im correct, also a front loading large electric kiln... Check it out, its a sleepy midwestern rustbelt town, which in terms of getting work done means there are few distractions--its also not far from the toledo museum of art (excellent small collection), the detroit institute of art (~1hr), ann arbor, mi (~1hr), Cleveland (~1.5 hrs), and Chicago (~5 hours). Clearly as an alum, Im biased, and again, I was last there in 2005, so Im not sure what its like now, but it might be worth a look.

Thanks

It was a pleasure to meet you Chase. Hope you had a nice drive back to Seattle and had some time to get to some of the sites. Great town!!

Thanks Justan

And Stephen, pleasure as well. The drive back through the pass was nice and sunny. Pulled off on the side of the highway to shoot some photos too.

But BGSU is now added to my list. Id still like to add another program or two that isn't on the "List" that we all know of.

So far my list is CWU, BGSU, indiana bloomington, ASU, SUNY new paltz, and VCU. Also the MA program at my current school is a backup if I don't get into an MFA program. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Justan

And Stephen, pleasure as well. The drive back through the pass was nice and sunny. Pulled off on the side of the highway to shoot some photos too.

But BGSU is now added to my list. Id still like to add another program or two that isn't on the "List" that we all know of.

So far my list is CWU, BGSU, indiana bloomington, ASU, SUNY new paltz, and VCU. Also the MA program at my current school is a backup if I don't get into an MFA program. Fingers crossed.

Chase,

I would strongly suggest NOT keeping your current school on your list. You've spent four (maybe more) years there with those faculty--which is great--you've probably learned a lot--perhaps as much as you'll get out of that situation. Take this opportunity to branch out and go somewhere new. Getting into grad school is not a zero-sum game---if you dont get in this round somewhere where you REALLY want to go--they'll be accepting apps next year, and the year after that... I think its really important to experience programs beyond the one that you came up in for a variety of reasons that have to do with your technical and conceptual development. Best of luck in your application process, if you want unsolicited advice on images or statements, PM me.

michael

Chase,

I would strongly suggest NOT keeping your current school on your list. You've spent four (maybe more) years there with those faculty--which is great--you've probably learned a lot--perhaps as much as you'll get out of that situation. Take this opportunity to branch out and go somewhere new. Getting into grad school is not a zero-sum game---if you dont get in this round somewhere where you REALLY want to go--they'll be accepting apps next year, and the year after that... I think its really important to experience programs beyond the one that you came up in for a variety of reasons that have to do with your technical and conceptual development. Best of luck in your application process, if you want unsolicited advice on images or statements, PM me.

michael

Thanks. The current school isnt an MFA program. I should have clarified. Its an MA program that I, more likely than not, am guaranteed an assistantship for the year program. this would give me some time to work on my portfolio and reapply to the schools. Its not ideal since I am on kinda of a time crunch to get into an MFA program, but its a good backup I think.

I also uploaded a few images from this body of work. If you wanted to critique them I certainly wouldn't object. Every opinion is helpful.

Archived