I’m an amateur, and it shows.

socaljim

I was hoping someone would be ableto give me some advice. I usually only use my kiln for green ware firing andglazing. This was my first attempt at over-glaze. I fired my bisque to cone 04and glazed it with gloss glaze to cone 06. I bought a bottle of Colorobbia goldand the clerk told me to brush it on and fire to cone 018. I think I missedsomething. I’m not sure if I didn’t apply enough, I applied to much, the conewas too hot / too cold, or the gloss glaze was the wrong type. What did I dowrong? Also, if anyone can tell me how I can fix the 30 pieces that I ruined itwould be greatly appreciated. Please see attached pictured.

post-18984-135494575174_thumb.jpg

post-18984-135494575174_thumb.jpg

I have not done this in a while but I always fired with the lid slightly open when doing lusters. My gold luster bottle says 019.

SO maybe you did go slightly hotter than recommended. Did you have the lid closed? If your kiln is vented, this may not be necessary.

Lusters really stink. They are very toxic. You need good ventilation and better yet, don't be near the kiln room when firing.

Marcia

What you did wrong, that is easy, you did not test. And not just test, but test at different thicknesses of application and at different cones to see the best results for your work. Do some testing, including a burning off of an application. If the burning off goes well, that is what you can do for the thirty pieces or try applying another coat on top of the first coat, but test.

Archived