#1 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Dear All,

Today I used sodium silicate on the outside of a stone ware pot I threw. I was able to create the nice cracks on the outside of my bowl with this substance.

After I finished with the sodium silicate, rather than put what I considered the contaminated remainder of this solution back in the jar (a few tablespoons), I threw it into my slop bucket. This slop bucket contains clay I hope to recycle.

I do know Sodium Silicate is powerful stuff. Will it affect my recycle bucket of clay in any detrimental way??

In terms of a percent think of two table spoons of SS in a kitty litter container size of scraps (i.e., 1 1/2 gallons).

I know there are many factors involved with this question (i.e., stoneware body, amount of water, amount of SS etc.).

My worry is that the clay if thrown will melt in the kiln?? Is this a possibility and should I simply throw out the whole mess of clay??

It is not a big deal if I throw it out but I will use it if no-one has tried this experiment and found it did not work as planned.

Has anyone thrown their excess SS in their slop water and recycled this clay without problem in firing?

Nelly

#2 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,455 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

Likely it is going to have an impact. We are back to the "test" comment. ;)src="http://ceramicartsda...ault/wink.gif">

I use this sodium silicate technique a lot on my work (images about this work in the new book
"The Appreciations and Collections of Modern and Contemporary Ceramic Art"by Guangzhen Zhou, Jiangsu Fine Art Publishing,China).

When I work with the sodium silicate on the outside of forms, I do not reclaim any of the scraps that I accumulate in the process. If I screw up a whole piece as I am expanding it, it gets crunched up and the whole piece of clay gets sent to the "landfill bin". The sodium silicate in the reclaim adversely affects the properties of the plastic clay body.

I'd suggest trying to keep the matrerial out of your plastic clay supply as much as is possible. I've never been happy when it gets into things....... you might not either. But of course, "your mileage may vary, not valid in all states, terms and conditions may apply, may not be combined with any other discounts."

best,

...............john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#3 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Likely it is going to have an impact. We are back to the "test" comment. ;)src="http://ceramicartsda...ault/wink.gif">

I use this sodium silicate technique a lot on my work (images about this work in the new book
"The Appreciations and Collections of Modern and Contemporary Ceramic Art"by Guangzhen Zhou, Jiangsu Fine Art Publishing,China).

When I work with the sodium silicate on the outside of forms, I do not reclaim any of the scraps that I accumulate in the process. If I screw up a whole piece as I am expanding it, it gets crunched up and the whole piece of clay gets sent to the "landfill bin". The sodium silicate in the reclaim adversely affects the properties of the plastic clay body.

I'd suggest trying to keep the matrerial out of your plastic clay supply as much as is possible. I've never been happy when it gets into things....... you might not either. But of course, "your mileage may vary, not valid in all states, terms and conditions may apply, may not be combined with any other discounts."

best,

...............john

Dear John,

Enough said. I will throw it out. It isn't enough and I do not want to play with clay that is not going to recycle well or cause damage to the kiln shelf. I will simply throw it out.

I have seen this stuff cause darkening of wheel heads so I know it is powerful stuff. My slop bucket will be ditched tonight.

No need to keep this up. You answered my question.

THANK YOU.

Nelly

#4 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I also throw out any clay that is contaminated with Sodium Silicate. Also the left over SS that has some clay residue in it does not need to be thrown out. I have a small container that I have my SS in and as long as it is not contaminated with an oxide like iron then the slighly off color SS does no effect anything. I would not throw out the left over SS.
Brian Reed

Throwing down in Washington State

http://www.reedpottery.com

Northwest Clay Club

#5 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

I also throw out any clay that is contaminated with Sodium Silicate. Also the left over SS that has some clay residue in it does not need to be thrown out. I have a small container that I have my SS in and as long as it is not contaminated with an oxide like iron then the slighly off color SS does no effect anything. I would not throw out the left over SS.

Dear Brian,

Thank you for responding. The SS was not contaminated with any oxide so I guess I could have kept it?? I just worried about contamination given that I had dipped my brush into the solution several times. Thank you for letting me know also that you throw out any clay with the SS in it. After reading the previous post I did in fact throw it out--lock stock and barrel. Gone. The last thing I need is to be spending hours trying to wedge up some clay that will never be the same with the addition of this chemical. Thank you again for responding.

Nelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users