Mural and tile making

That's really inspiring. I would like to know how long it took them and how did they manage the moisture of the clay while they worked. I am thinking by the ocean it may not be as difficult as it would where I live that is less humid. If they addressed it I would love to know more details if someone who speaks Spanish would translate the gist of it?

ohmy.gif Just fininshed watching the video. I am pretty much at a loss for words. Humbling is one that comes to mind. I figure I would need about 100 lifetimes to start to come close to producing that kind of Art. This is why we never run out of ways to grow and expand when working with clay. I am sure other artists in different fields feel the same way with their chosen medium. But for me there is something addictive about clay. Each day I learn somethling new. People ask me when I am going to retire, my answer is when you find my cold lifeless body draped over my clay table. Then you can consider me retired. Just for the record I am in no hurry to retire wink.gif .

That's really inspiring. I would like to know how long it took them and how did they manage the moisture of the clay while they worked. I am thinking by the ocean it may not be as difficult as it would where I live that is less humid. If they addressed it I would love to know more details if someone who speaks Spanish would translate the gist of it?

Hi there, I can translate it for you if you want, when I am not on my ipad. I have seen these types of murals and it isnt really a big problem to keep them damp. The back boards that it is attactched to is normally something like fibreglass boards covering marine ply. I havent seen it just pushed on like they did, normally the fibre glass is then draped with burlap. then pushed on ,this holds and suports the clay. The clay is also as you saw about 10 - 15 cm thick.

After each work stage the whole thing is covered with plastic sheets. It is fun to try it on a smaller scale using and easle. I think I have a book about it in the studio need to have look if you are interested.... T

That was quite nice. I understand some Spanish, but not well enough, to keep up with the narrator.

That makes me want to do a large scale mural. I'll have to see if my school wants to foot the bill for supplies......

Ask for at least $1000.00 dollars. Paint is $30.00 per gallon. You also have to rent a scaffold. If you are thinking clat, you have to figure out how to attach to the wall. Also, does it freeze where you are.

I painted over 40 murals in my day. I just got asked to do one today. Everyone wants a mural, but no one wants to pay for materials.

Tom[TJR]

That was quite nice. I understand some Spanish, but not well enough, to keep up with the narrator.

That makes me want to do a large scale mural. I'll have to see if my school wants to foot the bill for supplies......

Ask for at least $1000.00 dollars. Paint is $30.00 per gallon. You also have to rent a scaffold. If you are thinking clat, you have to figure out how to attach to the wall. Also, does it freeze where you are.

I painted over 40 murals in my day. I just got asked to do one today. Everyone wants a mural, but no one wants to pay for materials.

Tom[TJR]

Paint? I was thinking of making it sculptural, like the video, though not quite that large.

If you can get the book: Handbuilding Ceramic Forms by Elsbeth S. Woody it has a rather good little section about this type of mural and making interlocking tile pieces. T

I just wanted to add http://www.philippathrelfall.com/. this is a mural artist in the UK whose work I just love. Check her out . T

Thanks for the link. Great stuff.

This is awesome!

I have a 2' x 3' mural I did in my kitchen, and for me that was quite a feat. Needless to say, it is nothing like these.

I also did my front stoop of my house with my address. I live on Sea Gull Drive, so it wasn't too difficult to come up with an idea.

Thanks for sharing this.

Sandra

jimisondesigns@live.com

Hi there, I can translate it for you if you want, when I am not on my ipad. I have seen these types of murals and it isnt really a big problem to keep them damp. The back boards that it is attactched to is normally something like fibreglass boards covering marine ply. I havent seen it just pushed on like they did, normally the fibre glass is then draped with burlap. then pushed on ,this holds and suports the clay. The clay is also as you saw about 10 - 15 cm thick.

After each work stage the whole thing is covered with plastic sheets. It is fun to try it on a smaller scale using and easle. I think I have a book about it in the studio need to have look if you are interested.... T

Thanks Trina :) I am definitely interested.

Archived