Fun uses for vinegar

justin1287

So, I'm big into using vinegar when i make pottery. It seems to work great when fixing cracked greenware, and i feel more confident using it when applying handles as well. I also add it to my magic clay (clay, paper mixture) when doing repairs as well. Does anyone else have other uses for it?

Justin

I read about this trick in a 1960's Ceramic Monthly helpful tips and have been using it for several years. After washing your hands pour some vinegar in your hands and rub it around and let it air dry. The vinegar is suppose it replace nutrients in your skin that the clay steals and dries your hands out, it works great. Between the vinegar and vasoline at night my hands are nice and soft.

My sculpture teacher bisque fired clay dust that she made by sanding green ware; she mixes the bisque dust with vinegar and forms a hard paste which she uses to fill cracks in bisque ware.

I am fairly certain that any piece she does this too is re-bisque fired before it goes on to be glazed.

I have seen her go through this process several times on a single piece for an absolutely seamless repair.

Personally, I use vinegar in my slip for attaching handles etc.... It works great!

I'm with round2potter—all of my work is Cone 10, and I like making my attaching slips using only vinegar and the clay of choice; no water added. I may also paint the attachment area with a little vinegar if it needs moistening. So far, I've never had an attachment crack or fail with this mixture, including pedestals and feet.

Guest JBaymore

Use it to etch test fired glazes. Submerge a fired glaze sample bar 1/2 way in vinegar and leave it for a couple of days. If the surface texture / reflectivity or color changes... the glaze is between not all that great to potentially horrible for food service use, outdoor suclpture or tile surfaces, and so on.

best,

........................john

Archived