#1 justin1287

justin1287

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

So, I'm big into using vinegar when i make pottery. It seems to work great when fixing cracked greenware, and i feel more confident using it when applying handles as well. I also add it to my magic clay (clay, paper mixture) when doing repairs as well. Does anyone else have other uses for it?
Justin

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Try some in your throwing water...just a few drops.
It is suppose to help. See what you think. Sometimes when throwing porcelain , I think it does help.

Marcia

#3 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

I read about this trick in a 1960's Ceramic Monthly helpful tips and have been using it for several years. After washing your hands pour some vinegar in your hands and rub it around and let it air dry. The vinegar is suppose it replace nutrients in your skin that the clay steals and dries your hands out, it works great. Between the vinegar and vasoline at night my hands are nice and soft.

#4 Round2potter

Round2potter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationPortland, Orygun

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

My sculpture teacher bisque fired clay dust that she made by sanding green ware; she mixes the bisque dust with vinegar and forms a hard paste which she uses to fill cracks in bisque ware.

I am fairly certain that any piece she does this too is re-bisque fired before it goes on to be glazed.

I have seen her go through this process several times on a single piece for an absolutely seamless repair.

Personally, I use vinegar in my slip for attaching handles etc.... It works great!
"There is no such thing as cheating in clay; So long as it works"

#5 terraforma

terraforma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

I'm with round2potter—all of my work is Cone 10, and I like making my attaching slips using only vinegar and the clay of choice; no water added. I may also paint the attachment area with a little vinegar if it needs moistening. So far, I've never had an attachment crack or fail with this mixture, including pedestals and feet.
Mickey Fielding
Terraforma Studio
Los Angeles, CA

#6 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Use it to etch test fired glazes. Submerge a fired glaze sample bar 1/2 way in vinegar and leave it for a couple of days. If the surface texture / reflectivity or color changes... the glaze is between not all that great to potentially horrible for food service use, outdoor suclpture or tile surfaces, and so on.

best,

........................john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users