silica carbide and lava glazes

Lynettes

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's a definite maybe.

iirc i tried amounts less than 1% with a volcanic ash base at ^8-9 in oxidation. the result was more sponge toffee than lava.

apparently particle size can seriously affect the outcome

*from what i read fine particle size can encourage localised reduction but i put silicon carbide down at sponge toffee.

I realized after I asked this question, that, it will not work with any glaze, because I have used it tocause localise reduction and that glaze did not crater. Ther must be a certain chemistry that is necessary, but I havn't been able to find much information about high fire crater glazes.

Lynette

My teacher obtained it from an industrial type place... something to do with glass.

I'm doing some tests now. We're doing them as an addition to the slip – not the glaze. He recommended an addition of around 6%. In the tests, they range from 2% to 12%. I also did mixes with other glazes, to see what happens.

edit: I found a link to a rock tumbler website, http://rocktumbler.com/grit.shtml They have the type that we used, the coarsest grit.

Ok, so I did a few test glazes @ cone 10 with a cratering slip. It didn't do anything, as a slip or a glaze... in any of the tests. This particular example was dipped in slip that had the SC, bisqued, and then glazed.

I have a feeling that we had the wrong material, though. I'll find out the next time I'm at school.

8274108860_b3fb2e96df_n.jpg

Ceramics by avaviel, on Flickr

Archived