Using magnets to organize handtools

Given some of the feedback that I got on my swirl flush potters wheel, I've abandoned my prototype and moved on to some more practical ways of getting my throwing area organized.

I found that I was spending a lot of time looking through plastic containers and lumps of clay for the right tool. I decided to glue 6 mm X 3 mm Neodymium Grade N42 magnets to my tools so that they would stick to the edges of the steel shelves that are on three sides of my wheel. I just bored a shallow hole, slightly smaller than the diameter of the magnet, in each tool. I filled the whole with epoxy and pressed the magnet in place. I got 40 of these magnets on eBay for eight dollars.

MagnetTools.JPG

ToolsHanging.JPG

Doc,

I love it. I have forty+ years of tools and I even sold a big box of tools by the hand full at a garage sale when I was moving from Montana to Texas.

I built a storage container with cubicles. But THIS is Brilliant. Thanks you. I may put a metal strip near my wheel and install magnets in tools. I hate wasting time looking for things. I like to have a lot of my tools visible and this is a great solution.

Marcia

• 4 weeks later...

My husband installed two dishwasher utensil racks by my wheel. Trimming tools go in one and throwing tools go in the other. It is working pretty well and I can take them down and hose them off if I need. I like the magnet look though, looks like how Martha Stewart hangs her knives.

I utilize 5 magnetic bars in my studio and can attest to them being one of the best additions I've ever made. I have one attached to the table by my wheel, one on each of two sides of the workstand beside my slab roller, one next to my extruder, and one on the side of my handbuilding table. I've picked them up at Northern Tool, Harbor Freight and Lowes. I also have one on my flower potting table for my trowel, pruning shears, a knife, and anything else that I need to keep handy. I have them in the shop for holding tools I use the most. They are wonderful organizers and perfect for keeping things where I can find them. Some are stronger than others, but most will work for pottery tools.

Archived