Thick settling Glaze

Chantay

Question about the Laguna Moroccan Sand glaze (cone 6) I'm using. I buy it dry and mix it up. When using this glazes settles to the bottom of the bucket VERY quickly after stirring. I have to restir before every use. I have heard of additives that will keep glaze material suspended. Looking for more info on this. I have burned up a second submursable mixer, Uuugh!

-chantay

Wahine;

I use Bentonite at 3%. Some people use Epsom salts but it alters the electrical charge. So, get another bucket. Pour all your liquid into the bucket. Get a paper cup, add water half full. For a regular bucket of glaze you probably have 5000 grams of glaze. At 3%, you would add 15 grams of bentonite. Add it to the water in the paper cup. Mix.If you have a large bucket, you have 10,000 grams of glaze, so add 30 grams to the cup.

Once you have the glaze liquid poured off to second bucket, go in with your pear corer trimming tool and get all the solids up and loose. Pour the bentonite mixture into the liquid. Stir it up with a drill.

Add the whole thing back to your glaze chunks. Mix by hand first, then drill. Them sieve it twice.

Ain't ceramics grand.

I just did this with one of my glazes. Works.Too bad I don't like the glaze that much.

Tom Roberts

Sometimes when a glaze hardpans you can break up the bottom by stiring the glaze with your hand so that you have the liquid part moving as fast as you can make it move in a circle to erode the hard glaze on the bottom of the bucket. That usually quickly cuts through the glaze to the bottom of the bucket but doesn't affect the hard glaze in the center but now you can reach in and easily pull the center away from the bottom and break it up. Then add a couple of pinches of Epsom Salt and see what that does. Add more if you need it. Your glaze will not hardpan again. If you use bentonite, remember that you're changing the glaze recipe by increasing the amount of clay in it.

Jim

Archived