2 replies to this topic

#1 Tobla4

Tobla4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

The Accidental Glaze Project

Has this happened to you? Out of the kiln comes a new set of glaze tests. One of the tests is incredibly beautiful!! It’s a blood red at cone 6 or a green glaze with only cobalt as a colorant or maybe it’s just the best glaze you've seen.

You want to share it with the world! But realize:

- That was the test you tossed in 10 grams of…(oh gosh what was that) just to see what would happen.

- It’s the garbage glaze

- You know what’s in it then try to reproduce it and it doesn't work. It could be the firing cycle but you can’t be sure.

- You were sure you would remember that formulation

Enter “The Accidental Glaze Project”

Project goals:

To explore the role of serendipity in glaze formulation

To explore the results of glazes made by accident rather than design

Create a publication

Project Method:

Gather a very large number of accidental glazes. Through the efficiency of numbers reduce the cost of a full spectrum analysis from $100 to less than $15.

Project Funds:

Individuals who wish to have a glaze analyzed and who would like to participate in the project pay the reduced analysis fee. Project is also funded through volunteer efforts.

If you have a glaze you want analyzed or if you administrative or leadership skills and want to run portions of the project drop me a line.

Cheers.

#2 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

You can count me in on at least one glaze, I have one glaze that is made up of C6 Celadon test glaze left overs, I test every recipe I could find looking for a craze free celadon for a exterior fountain. With each round of testing I put all the left over glaze in a bucket when I ran out of formulas I had a half gal of mix in the bucket, so I tested it. It came out craze free and I had enough for the fountain, it would be nice to have a formula for it. Denice

#3 Tobla4

Tobla4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

You can count me in on at least one glaze, I have one glaze that is made up of C6 Celadon test glaze left overs, I test every recipe I could find looking for a craze free celadon for a exterior fountain. With each round of testing I put all the left over glaze in a bucket when I ran out of formulas I had a half gal of mix in the bucket, so I tested it. It came out craze free and I had enough for the fountain, it would be nice to have a formula for it. Denice

Hello Denice,
A craze free Celadon at cone 6 I don't think I have seen one myself. I was hoping to find project partners in this forum as well. We will need to solicit many accidental glazes to reduce the cost of testing. I dont think one person can do the project alone. When we have completed the project we can submit it for publishing. Are you in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users