Cone 10 Oxidation Glazes

Guest LGHT

Does anyone have any good cone 10 oxidation glazes?? The studio i'm working at is owned by a traditional Japanese potter who only fires in oxidation and only works with porcelain clays. He has some great glazes, but only a few base colors like blue, black and browns. I'm looking to make a few additional colors like yellows, bright blues, and reds. I have read that oxidation firing is more consistent, but most of the books I have don't have anything covering oxidation glaze recipes. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any good cone 10 oxidation glazes?? The studio i'm working at is owned by a traditional Japanese potter who only fires in oxidation and only works with porcelain clays. He has some great glazes, but only a few base colors like blue, black and browns. I'm looking to make a few additional colors like yellows, bright blues, and reds. I have read that oxidation firing is more consistent, but most of the books I have don't have anything covering oxidation glaze recipes. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Don't know where you live but I have a bunch in my book, "The Complete Guide to High Fire Glazes". They are too numerous to mention.

LGHT, Read thru your books again to see if the author mentions if the glazes can be used in oxidation. If not try testing interesting formulas

Thanks for the tip. The couple of books that I have specifically mention they are for reduction. Although I could mix up a bunch of reduction glazes and hope for the best I would prefer going with glazes already tested since i'm just a work from home part time potter.

Don't know where you live but I have a bunch in my book, "The Complete Guide to High Fire Glazes". They are too numerous to mention.

John thanks for the tip i'll have to get a copy. I did a search for the book and i'm already intrigued by some of the oil spot glazes! Hopefully I can get some good results.

A nice opaque iron blue can be had, cone 10, with 40 spar potash with a little soda, 30 wood ash, 30 rice hull ash. dip it on thick, over red or brown stoneware or red engobe. I don't normally do reds, but tenmokku glazes are oxidation glazes, and perhaps Oribe as well. Takada Oribe (cone 10, glossy) is merely 80 potash spar 20 whiting plus 5 copper carbonate. In reduction, it becomes a copper red.

h a n s e n

Archived